Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline pittstop  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2018 11:30:28(UTC)
pittstop

Hi All,

I'm the owner of a 2011 1.6 Wind GT Line which; to the best of my knowledge; shares most mechanical parts with the Twingo RS particularly the steering column.

I have a mystery noise in my steering which; from a google search; I believe has been discussed on this forum in the past. No one else on the Wind forum seems to have experienced this.

It's similar to gravel being swished around in a Wok & can be felt as a vibration at the steering wheel. Mostly at low speeds & stationary.

I believe that some Twingo owners have had steering columns replaced by Renault but even that repair didn't last in all cases.

The steering feel seems fine. Was this the case for those of you who had the problem?
Might it lock up & be dangerous?
Have Renault acknowledged any responsibility at any time for this?

Any pointers would be much appreciated as I don't really like the look of the price of a new column!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Offline pittstop  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2018 15:56:12(UTC)
pittstop

Thought; in the absence of responses from this chat room; I’d pass on my latest attempt to cure this which I have already posted on the lengthy thread on this topic on the Wind chat room..

Never give up is my motto so last week I had another go!!

Took off the pod covering switches etc (getting pretty proficient at this by now) then removed the trim panel below the steering.

This panel just pulls out & then one just has to disconnect the two wiring plugs (Mirror Adjustment & Traction Control Override switch) to be able to put it to one side.

I then tracked down the steering sensor (the black plastic casing surrounding the column) & the plug that takes the wiring away from it to the assistance motor (Orange/Black).

The orange plug has a black plastic sort of sheath round it which I partially broke as I unplugged it & on replacement I wrapped some tape round it .

Anyway having disconnected the plug I sprayed contact cleaner on both the male & female parts & then reconnected it. (I also sprayed silicon lubricant on to the UJ probably to no effect.)

250 miles later so far no weird noises.

FINGERS CROSSED