Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tanim  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2018 17:51:49(UTC)
Tanim

This is the closest I've been to writing off the 220.. luckily the left lane was clear. Shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gklrwmDEyMM

Edited by user 08 June 2018 17:52:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Buffalo Girls  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2018 18:35:49(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

I don’t think you’d have written it off. Surprised it was a Mercedes. Normally these dash cam videos seem to feature Audi or BMW
Offline Marc_250  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2018 19:01:28(UTC)
Marc_250

To me it looked like the op had the view point and ability to avoid another driver who clearly was unsure on what lane they needed to be in and/or was meandering around etc. Yet decided to run it alongside and hold the horn down as opposed to pressing the brake pedal and leaving space for the other driver to make their 'mistake' without causing either car any issues.
Offline Penn  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2018 19:21:12(UTC)
Penn

Easily avoidable by lifting off the throttle.
Offline John_walker74  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2018 19:32:05(UTC)
John_walker74

Yep, more drama from not lifting off and giving them room. Looks like you were just trying to prove a point.
Offline foxspeed  
#6 Posted : 08 June 2018 19:33:01(UTC)
foxspeed

the usual roundabout lane chopping jobbie...drivers not aware or dont care whats either alongside on near to them

LOL "surprised" it was a merc....need to drive around a bit more there in the same camp!
Offline MrVix  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2018 06:33:49(UTC)
MrVix

Looks to me like the OP is as bad a driver as the Merc. If the OP was blind to the Mercs intentions then I say he shouldn't be on the road. Mountain out of a Mole Hill and that 'Music' is truly hideous !!
Offline eccentric1  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2018 06:45:46(UTC)
eccentric1

Sorry Tanim I agree with the others here.
OK, so you may have been "in the right" but here you were driving like a typical German. They'd rather have an accident than ease back and give up their "right".

It reminds me of the old classic "it's better to be right than dead right".

The art of driving is to read the road all around and react to situations before they get critical.

As an aside:
I see loads of these youtube "idiots on the road" dash cam things and so often the person with the dash cam is as much at fault as those they are videoing.

Edited by user 09 June 2018 06:48:35(UTC)  | Reason: Aside

Offline Roblynn1977  
#9 Posted : 09 June 2018 11:34:33(UTC)
Roblynn1977

If that’s the nearest you have come to a smash then your lucky I come across idiots who swap lanes on a daily basis.

Good to see the site your getting support from the forum maybe you should by a BMW and then you will be hailed a god
Offline Marc_250  
#10 Posted : 09 June 2018 17:59:37(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: Roblynn1977 Go to Quoted Post

Good to see the site your getting support from the forum maybe you should by a BMW and then you will be hailed a god

I think the op has received some good feedback. He can take it onboard, disagree with it or ignore it. I don't believe if the op chooses to purchase a BWM he will be 'hailed a god' by default so I would caution the op against any such belief.
Offline g7egt  
#11 Posted : 09 June 2018 19:26:51(UTC)
g7egt

The indicator was a clue that the Merc was going to change lane.
Offline John_walker74  
#12 Posted : 09 June 2018 20:09:46(UTC)
John_walker74

The op was actually undertaking so should always be cautious.
Offline Tanim  
#13 Posted : 11 June 2018 12:42:59(UTC)
Tanim

Originally Posted by: eccentric1 Go to Quoted Post
Sorry Tanim I agree with the others here.
OK, so you may have been "in the right" but here you were driving like a typical German. They'd rather have an accident than ease back and give up their "right".

It reminds me of the old classic "it's better to be right than dead right".

The art of driving is to read the road all around and react to situations before they get critical.

As an aside:
I see loads of these youtube "idiots on the road" dash cam things and so often the person with the dash cam is as much at fault as those they are videoing.

Don't be Keith! I know I was trying to prove a point but I shouldn't have reacted like that. Most cars indicate left in that roundabout so I just didn't expect it. Sad
Offline Tanim  
#14 Posted : 11 June 2018 13:04:32(UTC)
Tanim

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post
Looks to me like the OP is as bad a driver as the Merc. If the OP was blind to the Mercs intentions then I say he shouldn't be on the road. Mountain out of a Mole Hill and that 'Music' is truly hideous !!

I love tune, shame I didn't get Bose, would've been even better! Cool
Offline Marc_250  
#15 Posted : 14 August 2018 21:58:54(UTC)
Marc_250

Not the same situation but a guy over on a certain Focus forum posted this

I agree/agreed the Astra made the mistake but suggested it seemed avoidable to which no one agreed at all.

I can't quite workout if my interpretation of the video is wrong or everyone else is right.

Anyone else think you'd have been on the anchors and steering away from this incident before impact? To me it just looks and feels like an incident I avoid every other week!

As said I'm not saying the camera car is wrong but the complete lack of avoidance measures seems odd to me but maybe I'm too used to watching F1 drivers reactions on video.
Offline DazBav  
#16 Posted : 14 August 2018 22:42:54(UTC)
DazBav

I’ve watched it several times Marc and can’t make my mind up. Astra comes over very quick rather than gradual. Maybe the camera car just didn’t think it was coming right over. Maybe camera car man was just looking straight ahead for his clear road?
Offline MrVix  
#17 Posted : 15 August 2018 05:17:05(UTC)
MrVix

Again what I believe to be poor Driving standards from both parties. It is not quite cut and dried like the OPs poor driving but I reckon the focus driver should have avoided a collision. Maybe he was too wrapped in the the World Cup hype....... silly sod🤣
Offline FramerateUK  
#18 Posted : 15 August 2018 08:59:08(UTC)
FramerateUK

I can't see the video anymore, so can't comment on it, but I'm always very wary of roundabouts - I take the view that someone is always about to do something stupid.

Back in 2013, I'd just finished the PCP on my 250, and decided to pay it off to keep the car. A week later, I was going round a roundabout to join the M4, and a person joined the roundabout without looking (There are part time lights on that entrance, but they weren't on, I guess they just didn't look) and t-boned me. All the passenger side curtain and seat airbags went off. I didn't even know what hit me until I got out of the car.

It took 4 months to get the car back since they couldn't get the parts.

While I couldn't have avoided my crash, nowadays I make eye contact with all people joining roundabouts, and always leave space in the assumption that someone is about to do something stupid. It servers me very well as lane discipline is terrible on roundabouts.

I drive a roundabout most mornings where my lane splits into two, I have to take the left portion, but lots of people just drive straight into from the lane from the left without indicating (I'm sure most don't even realise how stupid they're being). Also many people don't filter in from my lane, and then cut across from the right at the last moment to exit.

It pays to give people space. Honestly, you don't want to be driving an Insignia for 4 months while you're waiting for repairs!
Offline ssimon  
#19 Posted : 15 August 2018 11:25:36(UTC)
ssimon

Rather than make eye contact, I look at where the front wheels are pointing.
If they don't see your car ( LY is an advantage) they won't see your eyes.

Edited by user 15 August 2018 14:56:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline FramerateUK  
#20 Posted : 15 August 2018 13:01:14(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: ssimon Go to Quoted Post
Rather than make eye I contact, I look at where the front wheels are pointing.
If they don't see your car ( LY is an advantage) they won't see your eyes.

You'd be surprised at how much difference eye contact makes. If someone catches your eye when they're looking to push out, they usually re-evaluate what they're going to do. Doesn't work for everyone, it's just another part of driving defensively, along with not trying to overtake/undertake on roundabouts, and keeping an eye one someone's lane positioning. You can usually spot someone who's going to do something stupid just by their movements within their lane or how often their brake lights are flashing!

Same goes for making your own movements obvious.

Edited by user 15 August 2018 13:01:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrVix  
#21 Posted : 15 August 2018 14:31:40(UTC)
MrVix

You rely on Eye Contact and I am the idiot LOL

Oh dear Framerat you are a 'card' and I love you dearly but I hope I never encounter you on a roundaboutLOL
Offline ssimon  
#22 Posted : 15 August 2018 15:01:51(UTC)
ssimon

OK, to stop someone pulling out, is a good blast of some powerful air horns.

P.S. Have you noticed how weedy the Clio horn sounds?
Offline Marc_250  
#23 Posted : 15 August 2018 20:44:17(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post
Again what I believe to be poor Driving standards from both parties. It is not quite cut and dried like the OPs poor driving but I reckon the focus driver should have avoided a collision. Maybe he was too wrapped in the the World Cup hype....... silly sod🤣

Possibly, The england flags attached to the vauxhall would have given me the heads up to approach with caution!

But the state of driving in the UK is appalling. The ordering of mirror, signal maneuverer seems to be lost on 80% of the population when on motorways.
Offline CraigI  
#24 Posted : 15 August 2018 21:09:55(UTC)
CraigI

People with cameras in their cars.....................
Offline Marc_250  
#25 Posted : 16 August 2018 10:06:31(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
People with cameras in their cars.....................

What you got against dash cams, they seem pretty useful? I've been tempted to get one myself although probably won't bother but I think they'll become standard fit on cars at some point.