Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline g7egt  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2018 06:44:39(UTC)
g7egt

Offline g7egt  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2018 06:57:03(UTC)
g7egt

Offline g7egt  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2018 07:05:28(UTC)
g7egt

Offline g7egt  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2018 07:06:03(UTC)
g7egt

And they don't like it as much as the old one :(
Offline mattyw  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2018 07:15:30(UTC)
mattyw

Christ - doesn’t sound good does it?

That Autocar review is pretty brutal tbh - doesn’t like much!
Offline MrVix  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2018 07:33:38(UTC)
MrVix

I am going to wait for Evo to get hold of one as it is the only review I take much notice of. Having said that RSs first iterations are usually below par and get better further down the line. Glad I didn't jump in with the early adopters.
Offline Georgeski  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2018 07:51:21(UTC)
Georgeski

Pistonheads are usually good too.
Offline Georgeski  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2018 07:52:04(UTC)
Georgeski

Offline Georgeski  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2018 07:59:19(UTC)
Georgeski

Looks like Pistonheads drove it properly as well!
Offline FramerateUK  
#10 Posted : 04 July 2018 07:59:57(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: mattyw Go to Quoted Post

Did we read the same review? He gave it 4.5 stars....
Offline Georgeski  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2018 08:00:10(UTC)
Georgeski

Just sounds as though it needs a touch more power. Bring on the Trophy!!
Offline markyboy  
#12 Posted : 04 July 2018 08:29:57(UTC)
markyboy

As much as it pains me to say the more I see this car the more I’m going off it, less steering feel will kill it dead for me
I’m not a fan of the alacantra if it’s anything like 182 alacantra
There are some big issues ahead it was fine in the cheap clio
But if it’s the same cheap stuff it’s not going to go well,
Do we know when any demonstrators will be available
In hampshire any time soon
Offline FramerateUK  
#13 Posted : 04 July 2018 08:40:45(UTC)
FramerateUK

The 250 Cup reviews were lukewarm to begin with. I expect the same is true here. RS cars tend to be slow burners rather than instant hits.
Offline del115  
#14 Posted : 04 July 2018 09:00:52(UTC)
del115

Not the greatest of reviews but when I saw which 3 mags were offering their verdicts I was not really expecting anything different.
I actually found all 3 to be very similar in content, almost scripted, with the emphasis being comparisons against it's MkIII predecessor.
Take that away however and I felt there were still a fair smattering of positives to be had.

I have not owned a Megane before and my benchmark for harshness of ride is a cupped Clio 200 so I am, for the moment at least, quite confident.
As you might expect, having ordered one, my cup is still half full and the review I am most interested in - Mine - is yet to come.
7 of 'uz mates' are going on an 8 day road trip to the Italian GP taking in numerous French and Swiss alpine passes with the black forest and a lap of the 'ring thrown in for good measure.
Should achieve 2 things a. Run the car in nicely b. Allow me to discover the pluses and minuses of what the car has offer.
I will let you know - watch this space.

Wink Of course I do need the car to actually turn up on time Wink
Offline mattyw  
#15 Posted : 04 July 2018 09:17:33(UTC)
mattyw

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

We did, just statements like this don't really support 4.5 stars which doesn't really make sense to me:

'Lordy, it’s firm-riding'
'old-school ‘like it or lump it’ lack of compromise'
'The steering is at once highly strung (particularly sensitive to road camber, reactive to bump steer and prone to a bit of traction-related directional interference, too'
'lacks much of the reassuring weight and feedback of the old Mégane’s rim'
'The more pedestrian parts of the new Mégane RS’s package are somewhat less convincing'
'The car’s ergonomic layout isn’t great (it has slightly shallow footwells, high pedals and a steering column short on reach adjustment'
'its cabin isn’t as classy-looking or well laid out'
'Your lasting disappointments? The ride might be one, I’d say (it’s very firm'
'the car’s overly light steering, too (which gets heavier, although no more communicative, in Sport mode
the car’s engine that, for me, isn’t a patch on the old car’s torquey 2.0-litre unit and doesn’t bear comparison with the very best performance four-pots available elsewhere in the class'

The only good thing he had to say was about the chassis itself!

Don't get me wrong I intend to make my own mind up. I was set on a Trophy but the reviews don't set it off well when you look at the old mk3 reviews - I have one for the weekend in a couple of weeks so I guess i'll see then !

Offline MrVix  
#16 Posted : 04 July 2018 09:38:48(UTC)
MrVix

We did, just statements like this don't really support 4.5 stars which doesn't really make sense to me:

'Lordy, it’s firm-riding'
'old-school ‘like it or lump it’ lack of compromise'
'The steering is at once highly strung (particularly sensitive to road camber, reactive to bump steer and prone to a bit of traction-related directional interference, too'
'lacks much of the reassuring weight and feedback of the old Mégane’s rim'
'The more pedestrian parts of the new Mégane RS’s package are somewhat less convincing'
'The car’s ergonomic layout isn’t great (it has slightly shallow footwells, high pedals and a steering column short on reach adjustment'
'its cabin isn’t as classy-looking or well laid out'
'Your lasting disappointments? The ride might be one, I’d say (it’s very firm'
'the car’s overly light steering, too (which gets heavier, although no more communicative, in Sport mode
the car’s engine that, for me, isn’t a patch on the old car’s torquey 2.0-litre unit and doesn’t bear comparison with the very best performance four-pots available elsewhere in the class'

The only good thing he had to say was about the chassis itself!

Don't get me wrong I intend to make my own mind up. I was set on a Trophy but the reviews don't set it off well when you look at the old mk3 reviews - I have one for the weekend in a couple of weeks so I guess i'll see then !

I reckon/hope the Trophy will be a much better proposition. It surprises me that so many on here have taken such a blind leap of faith in purchasing before we had any proper reviews. I wont be going anywhere near the cheque book until we know exactly how good the Trophy is.

I just cant help wondering if Renaultsport are trying too hard to compete with VAG product and at the same time losing that 'magic' that separated them for so long from the usual boring dross.
Offline markyboy  
#17 Posted : 04 July 2018 09:48:56(UTC)
markyboy

O get what your saying frame rate but the mk3 was great out of the box, this new car has issues before I have even driven it
as I’m not a fan of the rear Pringle can lights, I don’t like alacantra as it won’t wear well at all, matters to me I don’t lease and do more than 10 miles over 3 years
Not sure about those front fog lights either
Are the headlights any good my 250 headlights kicked the s*** out of the non turny halogen s*** fitted to the later cars
And that dashboard do we really have to have a digital speedo
It’s horrible, so for me it will have to drive like something else to make up for the other things I don’t like, the engine is going to be underwhelming like that fitted to the clio and it’s heavier and wider it’s got a tall order to convince me tbh
Offline Marc_250  
#18 Posted : 04 July 2018 10:20:55(UTC)
Marc_250

From my skimming the reviews look/sound pretty good.
Offline steering1  
#19 Posted : 04 July 2018 10:40:49(UTC)
steering1

Fair to good reviews, but nothing special apart from the chassis...

The worst thing to me is that you have to push really hard , to enjoy the handling, in contrast with type r or hyundai..

Slightly dissapointed to be honest.

I am keeping my mk3 at the moment...

Offline steering1  
#20 Posted : 04 July 2018 10:46:05(UTC)
steering1

Offline FramerateUK  
#21 Posted : 04 July 2018 10:51:29(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: markyboy Go to Quoted Post
O get what your saying frame rate but the mk3 was great out of the box, this new car has issues before I have even driven it
as I’m not a fan of the rear Pringle can lights, I don’t like alacantra as it won’t wear well at all, matters to me I don’t lease and do more than 10 miles over 3 years
Are the headlights any good my 250 headlights kicked the s*** out of the non turny halogen s*** fitted to the later cars
It’s horrible, so for me it will have to drive like something else to make up for the other things I don’t like, the engine is going to be underwhelming like that fitted to the clio and it’s heavier and wider it’s got a tall order to convince me tbh

Sounds like you'd be better off with a different car. Loads of choice in this segment.
Offline rob.e  
#22 Posted : 04 July 2018 10:58:14(UTC)
rob.e

puzzled as to why the press were given cup chassis cars for road tests when it's likely the sport chassis will be a better option for road use..?

just done a skim read of the reviews posted above, nothing up there surprises me tbh, all pretty much in line with my feelings having driven a cup.

the basingstoke dealer should have their demo end of this week which apparently is a non-cup so i'm going to get a drive in this to compare.
Offline rob.e  
#23 Posted : 04 July 2018 11:12:35(UTC)
rob.e

Originally Posted by: markyboy Go to Quoted Post

Sounds like you'd be better off with a different car. Loads of choice in this segment.

digital speedo is configurable - you don't have to have that view, that's the beauty of lcd display.

alcantara? didn't add this to my order, don't think i'll miss it. golf R and type r you get alcantara whether you want it or not.

as above, lots of choice. i also don't like some things on the RS, but that's true of everything in this segment, no single car ticks all the boxes, but this is close (type r too lairy, too expensive. focus too hard riding, too expensive. cupra boring looks, expensive etc)
Offline rob.e  
#24 Posted : 04 July 2018 11:18:22(UTC)
rob.e

Originally Posted by: steering1 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.whatcar.com/news/2018-renault-megane-rs-280-cup-review/

"That bargain price and the addictive driving experience just tips this Cup version of the Megane RS into five-star car territory. If you’re wondering whether that makes this our new favourite hot hatch, you’ll just have to wait until Friday to see what happens when the Megane takes on the Civic Type R and Volkswagen Golf R in a rather exciting triple test."

Woohoo.. roll on friday then :)
Offline MrVix  
#25 Posted : 04 July 2018 12:42:45(UTC)
MrVix

It does look very snouty again in the picture used on the What Car verdict page which puts me of slightly. Why so much overhangConfused

I guess I will have to reserve final judgement until I can see one in the flesh.