Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MrVix  
#26 Posted : 04 July 2018 12:47:31(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: rob.e Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: steering1 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.whatcar.com/news/2018-renault-megane-rs-280-cup-review/

"That bargain price and the addictive driving experience just tips this Cup version of the Megane RS into five-star car territory. If you’re wondering whether that makes this our new favourite hot hatch, you’ll just have to wait until Friday to see what happens when the Megane takes on the Civic Type R and Volkswagen Golf R in a rather exciting triple test."

Woohoo.. roll on friday then :)

I wouldn't get too excited about a 'What Car Review' they may be able to pick out a decent SUV for a Yummy Mummy or a Super Mini for your Granny but I wouldn't buy any performance car on their say soLOL
Offline g7egt  
#27 Posted : 04 July 2018 13:36:22(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mattyw Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post
Christ - doesn’t sound good does it?

That Autocar review is pretty brutal tbh - doesn’t like much!

Did we read the same review? He gave it 4.5 stars....

We did, just statements like this don't really support 4.5 stars which doesn't really make sense to me:

'Lordy, it’s firm-riding'
'old-school ‘like it or lump it’ lack of compromise'
'The steering is at once highly strung (particularly sensitive to road camber, reactive to bump steer and prone to a bit of traction-related directional interference, too'
'lacks much of the reassuring weight and feedback of the old Mégane’s rim'
'The more pedestrian parts of the new Mégane RS’s package are somewhat less convincing'
'The car’s ergonomic layout isn’t great (it has slightly shallow footwells, high pedals and a steering column short on reach adjustment'
'its cabin isn’t as classy-looking or well laid out'
'Your lasting disappointments? The ride might be one, I’d say (it’s very firm'
'the car’s overly light steering, too (which gets heavier, although no more communicative, in Sport mode
the car’s engine that, for me, isn’t a patch on the old car’s torquey 2.0-litre unit and doesn’t bear comparison with the very best performance four-pots available elsewhere in the class'

The only good thing he had to say was about the chassis itself!

Don't get me wrong I intend to make my own mind up. I was set on a Trophy but the reviews don't set it off well when you look at the old mk3 reviews - I have one for the weekend in a couple of weeks so I guess i'll see then !

I reckon/hope the Trophy will be a much better proposition. It surprises me that so many on here have taken such a blind leap of faith in purchasing before we had any proper reviews. I wont be going anywhere near the cheque book until we know exactly how good the Trophy is.

I just cant help wondering if Renaultsport are trying too hard to compete with VAG product and at the same time losing that 'magic' that separated them for so long from the usual boring dross.

I can't see how its going to be a better proposition. What I mean is that it is going to be more focused in the ride and handling department as all Trophy models are, I can't see them making a softer and more compliant car, can you?

Edited by user 04 July 2018 13:37:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrVix  
#28 Posted : 04 July 2018 13:47:38(UTC)
MrVix

It does make me chuckle with people moaning about the rideLOL

I think there are many on here that would be far better off with a Polo or Golf GTi, that way you will get a more compliant ride, better build quality, residuals, customer service and infotainement system.

The problem is Renaultsport dumbed peoples expectatoions down with the 200/220T.
Offline g7egt  
#29 Posted : 04 July 2018 13:49:24(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post
Christ - doesn’t sound good does it?

That Autocar review is pretty brutal tbh - doesn’t like much!

Not the greatest of reviews but when I saw which 3 mags were offering their verdicts I was not really expecting anything different.
I actually found all 3 to be very similar in content, almost scripted, with the emphasis being comparisons against it's MkIII predecessor.
Take that away however and I felt there were still a fair smattering of positives to be had.

I have not owned a Megane before and my benchmark for harshness of ride is a cupped Clio 200 so I am, for the moment at least, quite confident.
As you might expect, having ordered one, my cup is still half full and the review I am most interested in - Mine - is yet to come.
7 of 'uz mates' are going on an 8 day road trip to the Italian GP taking in numerous French and Swiss alpine passes with the black forest and a lap of the 'ring thrown in for good measure.
Should achieve 2 things a. Run the car in nicely b. Allow me to discover the pluses and minuses of what the car has offer.
I will let you know - watch this space.

Wink Of course I do need the car to actually turn up on time Wink

I'm still looking forward to getting mine. I did not buy it to be an all rounder, I like the fact that you have to push it hard to get the best out of the chassis. Can't wait to get it on a few tracks.Big Smile

Edited by user 04 July 2018 13:50:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline markyboy  
#30 Posted : 04 July 2018 14:10:22(UTC)
markyboy

sorry framerate but there isn’t loads of choice if you don’t like 4 door hatchbacks, also I’m not interested in vag products or awd
So it’s a narrow choice for me, to be honest I will probably just keep my mk3 but like I said I will give it a go should be one turning up at my old employer next week
Offline del115  
#31 Posted : 04 July 2018 14:25:04(UTC)
del115

PH liked it but not without some criticisms.
Sounds like a car that likes, indeed needs, to be driven quite hard - sound familiar?

https://www.pistonheads....0-vs-hyundai-i30-n/38299

Offline g7egt  
#32 Posted : 04 July 2018 16:57:52(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
Just sounds as though it needs a touch more power. Bring on the Trophy!!

I don't think 20 more bhp is going to make that much difference!
Offline Georgeski  
#33 Posted : 04 July 2018 17:34:16(UTC)
Georgeski

I bet it does
Offline MrVix  
#34 Posted : 04 July 2018 17:38:48(UTC)
MrVix

I will be very surprised if the Trophy isn't significantly better than the launch efforts.

Renaultsport have traditionally been able to make various minor tweaks in the past that have significantly transformed the later evolutions, I cannot see it being any different this time round.
Offline del115  
#35 Posted : 04 July 2018 17:45:39(UTC)
del115

I bet it does

I would think that the main difference will be in the setup and suspension.
For actual performance it will depend on how much extra torque accompanies the 20 bhp.
20 bhp on its own would make little or no difference IMHO - a combination of all of the above most certainly would.

There again much as we may like to believe different none of us are Lewis so the benefit for most in the real world may not be that apparent.
Offline Marc_250  
#36 Posted : 04 July 2018 17:54:36(UTC)
Marc_250

I'm expecting the Trophy to be the same car with 20 more hp and some stickers? Recaros will be available but I think it was said they'll also be available on the 280 as well by then.

Perhaps the magic 300hp barrier number will just convince people it's transformed it into a 'genuine' contender.

The 250 through to the 265 and the 275 (excluding R and Trophy with Ohlins) was an identical chassis (as far as I know) but there seemed to be a belief that it was constantly evolved throughout. I suppose there was some different tyres used, maybe that was it...
Offline g7egt  
#37 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:05:47(UTC)
g7egt

I bet it does

For actual performance it will depend on how much extra torque accompanies the 20 bhp.
20 bhp on its own would make little or no difference IMHO - a combination of all of the above most certainly would.

There again much as we may like to believe different none of us are Lewis so the benefit for most in the real world may not be that apparent.

Yep 7% up lift power is not going to make much difference on a 1,400kg car.
Offline g7egt  
#38 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:07:11(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
I'm expecting the Trophy to be the same car with 20 more hp and some stickers? Recaros will be available but I think it was said they'll also be available on the 280 as well by then.

Perhaps the magic 300hp barrier number will just convince people it's transformed it into a 'genuine' contender.

The 250 through to the 265 and the 275 (excluding R and Trophy with Ohlins) was an identical chassis (as far as I know) but there seemed to be a belief that it was constantly evolved throughout. I suppose there was some different tyres used, maybe that was it...

Sums it up, nothing like a new name, different sticker and face lift for people to believe it is a whole lot different.
Offline f.a.t  
#39 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:07:41(UTC)
f.a.t

It'll have the same power but more torque 295 than the latest Golf R and Seat Cupra and hopefully be lighter.
Offline MrRS  
#40 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:07:52(UTC)
MrRS

Reading the reviews and tests so far this latest version looks like its dammed by faint praise.
Offline Georgeski  
#41 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:08:09(UTC)
Georgeski

I bet it does

That's why I think it will make a noticeable difference, because I bet there will be a proportionally larger increase in torque that accompanies it, as I think the Trophy will likely have a different air intake and intercooler.

Edited by user 04 July 2018 18:16:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Georgeski  
#42 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:11:33(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: g7egt Go to Quoted Post
I bet it does

Yep 7% up lift power is not going to make much difference on a 1,400kg car.

There's more to it than a 7% increase in BHP Wink

Edited by user 04 July 2018 18:15:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrRS  
#43 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:17:26(UTC)
MrRS

The 280 cup tested by pistonheads was £34,000 so does anyone know what the trophy will be yet?
Offline Georgeski  
#44 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:33:36(UTC)
Georgeski

Sums it up, nothing like a new name, different sticker and face lift for people to believe it is a whole lot different.

Who says it's just a new name and different stickers?
Offline MrVix  
#45 Posted : 04 July 2018 18:52:26(UTC)
MrVix

Those who have just splashed their cash on the 280LOL

I believe the term is 'Choice Supportive Bias' LOL
Offline g7egt  
#46 Posted : 04 July 2018 19:06:17(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post

Those who have just splashed their cash on the 280LOL

I believe the term is 'Choice Supportive Bias' LOL

Don't worry I'll tell you if its pants IMO. Can't wait to get mine at least I will know for myself rather than be an arm chair expertLOL waiting to be told what I should like. Reading the reviews it's not exactly conclusive somewhat confusing. Autocar give it 4.5 stars and Pistonheads rate it above their current champ!
Offline Marc_250  
#47 Posted : 04 July 2018 19:16:45(UTC)
Marc_250

Havn't read anything other than the Trophy is a 20hp increase (and whatever torque), been no mention of chassis updates. Would be suprised if they decide to tweak the cup chassis at such a short interval between releases. My guess would just be some optional sticky rubber and perhaps some optional damper upgrades like the 275 Trophy had. Dread to think what sorta price it could be heading towards though if that's the case.
Offline Georgeski  
#48 Posted : 04 July 2018 19:26:44(UTC)
Georgeski

I bet there are some engine revisions too at the very least.

The point though is that no one knows so it is all just conjecture at the moment.

Edited by user 04 July 2018 19:28:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Penn  
#49 Posted : 04 July 2018 19:32:43(UTC)
Penn

Seems like they’ve made a good hot hatch, just not an outstanding one. Problem is, there’s loads of good hot hatches and PistonHeads can barely decide between the Megane and the Hyundai i30.

I wonder if they had a non-cup with LSD (will that combo ever exist?) would the reviews be overwhelmingly positive? Seems the hard ride is dividing opinion.

Now imagine if the Mégane got released before the i30N, can’t help but think RS are their own worst enemy.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#50 Posted : 04 July 2018 19:50:27(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Autocar give it 4.5 stars. Same as they gave the Civic Type-R