Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#51 Posted : 04 July 2018 19:53:14(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: Penn Go to Quoted Post
Seems like they’ve made a good hot hatch, just not an outstanding one. Problem is, there’s loads of good hot hatches and PistonHeads can barely decide between the Megane and the Hyundai i30.

I wonder if they had a non-cup with LSD (will that combo ever exist?) would the reviews be overwhelmingly positive? Seems the hard ride is dividing opinion.

Now imagine if the Mégane got released before the i30N, can’t help but think RS are their own worst enemy.

As I said at the beginning of the thread I tend to only take much notice of what EVO say and then I take it with a pinch of salt.

Having said that I was really hoping that the Megane was going to move the Hothatch game on and set the sector alight but it appears that it is no better or worse than the Hyundai who have just moved into this sectorConfused

What I will say is Renaultsport have historically been very good at improving their products and I will be very surprised if the Trophy is little more than just another 20hp and some stickers.

We need to remember that Renaultsport managed to improve the dire 200T somewhat with the release of the 220 Trophy even if they could not compensate for Mr Flappy.
Offline CraigI  
#52 Posted : 04 July 2018 21:35:45(UTC)
CraigI

Sounds good to me.
Not good enough to cancel the M2C order though.
Offline g7egt  
#53 Posted : 04 July 2018 21:39:09(UTC)
g7egt

M2 Comp that’s a nice motor very jealous
Offline CraigI  
#54 Posted : 04 July 2018 21:50:57(UTC)
CraigI

I’ll be jealous of all you new Megane owners.
Offline Andy Poulton  
#55 Posted : 05 July 2018 06:43:21(UTC)
Andy Poulton

Autocar are doing a twin test published next weeks mag

RS V TR

This weeks has the first drive report.

https://www.autocar.co.u...megane-rs-2018-uk-review

Bit disappointing.

Cheers Andy
Offline FramerateUK  
#56 Posted : 05 July 2018 06:47:10(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: markyboy Go to Quoted Post
sorry framerate but there isn’t loads of choice if you don’t like 4 door hatchbacks, also I’m not interested in vag products or awd
So it’s a narrow choice for me, to be honest I will probably just keep my mk3 but like I said I will give it a go should be one turning up at my old employer next week

If you don't like 4 door hatchbacks, why are you even considering the Mégane then?

You're pretty much out of luck as 5 door is the way the market is going. There are plenty of two door cars that are real sports cars to begin with rather than tuned up shopping trollies.

I'm all for 4 doors for practicality, which is what a hatchback is all about.
Offline Marc_250  
#57 Posted : 05 July 2018 12:36:25(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post
sorry framerate but there isn’t loads of choice if you don’t like 4 door hatchbacks, also I’m not interested in vag products or awd
So it’s a narrow choice for me, to be honest I will probably just keep my mk3 but like I said I will give it a go should be one turning up at my old employer next week

If you don't like 4 door hatchbacks, why are you even considering the Mégane then?

You're pretty much out of luck as 5 door is the way the market is going. There are plenty of two door cars that are real sports cars to begin with rather than tuned up shopping trollies.

I'm all for 4 doors for practicality, which is what a hatchback is all about.

Just read today that VW is dropping the two door variant of their Golf R (dunno if that encompasses any other versions) and the manual gearbox...and 10hp..
Offline Georgeski  
#58 Posted : 05 July 2018 13:55:47(UTC)
Georgeski

Didn't realise it was available in anything other than a 4 door version to be honest!
Offline Tanim  
#59 Posted : 05 July 2018 15:23:28(UTC)
Tanim

Don't take the reviews as words of Gospel, just go and test drive and find out yourself. All boils down to individual taste and preference. Clio 220 received a lot of negative reviews but test drove proved them all wrong.

Go and give it a go!
Offline CraigI  
#60 Posted : 05 July 2018 17:41:11(UTC)
CraigI

Where is Evo? The only one most look to.
Offline Marc_250  
#61 Posted : 05 July 2018 18:56:32(UTC)
Marc_250

TopGear.com review:
"As good as before, though?
Sadly, it rarely feels as special as it used to. The steering never quite has the feel and response you crave, the gearshift doesn’t satisfy enough, and those driving modes really do take a bit of learning."

Shame about that gearshift not living up to the old cars...there I was thinking it was the same gearbox.

I'm always unconvinced when motoring journos claim they can recall exactly how a car they might not have driven in yonks felt and compares. Sure if they're comparing a rear drive F430 and a Nissan GTR but two very very similar cars I know I couldn't.

Offline Georgeski  
#62 Posted : 05 July 2018 18:59:21(UTC)
Georgeski

It is the same gearbox, but with a shorter throw.
Offline g7egt  
#63 Posted : 05 July 2018 19:02:13(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
TopGear.com review:
"As good as before, though?
Sadly, it rarely feels as special as it used to. The steering never quite has the feel and response you crave, the gearshift doesn’t satisfy enough, and those driving modes really do take a bit of learning."

Shame about that gearshift not living up to the old cars...there I was thinking it was the same gearbox.

I'm always unconvinced when motoring journos claim they can recall exactly how a car they might not have driven in yonks felt and compares. Sure if they're comparing a rear drive F430 and a Nissan GTR but two very very similar cars I know I couldn't.

I tend to agree, they have so many cars thrown at them probably 1 or 2 a week, so how do you compare when you go from a Porsche, KIA, BMW, Vauxhall and then Renault. They could easily compare the old model to the new, there are plenty about.
Offline slaks  
#64 Posted : 05 July 2018 19:56:49(UTC)
slaks

Doesn’t it seem like there will be two further evolved versions of this car, the trophy then the trophy r and by the time we get to the trophy r all reviews will be 5 stars across the board?
That how im seeing it.
Offline markyboy  
#65 Posted : 06 July 2018 14:32:10(UTC)
markyboy

I Don’t have kids so I don’t want 4 doors
I already have a 2 seat sports car
Why are you so botherd that I prefer 3 doors hatchbacks
After all I would be buying it for me not you,
There is a fair chance I may well buy one if I like it after a drive
And a proper poke around one,
But even though I have had a fair few Renaults and spent best part of 8 years working on them in the past for a living , I’m never going to roll over and buy anything untill I’m happy with it and it’s totally what I want, and I’m not going to get that from some pictures on the Internet, because if I do get one it will be with me untill it’s worthless, so I will have to no I really want it
And that isn’t gonna happen untill I get to have a go in one
Offline steering1  
#66 Posted : 06 July 2018 18:11:27(UTC)
steering1

Offline Marc_250  
#67 Posted : 06 July 2018 18:43:12(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: steering1 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.whatcar.com/news/honda-civic-type-r-vs-renault-megane-rs-vs-volkswagen-golf-r/

Pretty good write up and seemed like solid/comprehensive review. Seems it's carried on as a cornering weapon. I'd guess the rubber on the CTR (Conti 6s) is sticker than the Bridgestones on the Megane.

Why infotainment systems are still slow/poorly designed at this stage I don't undestand. You can pick up a 70 quid android tablet that's better. If I was a car company I'd have it run a vanilla Android OS on it and open it up/encourage the internet to mod it for them. Free labour and I bet they'd do a better job..

Offline Penn  
#68 Posted : 06 July 2018 19:00:41(UTC)
Penn

No need Marc, just offer CarPlay/android auto and the experience will be great. No idea why Renault are so far behind.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#69 Posted : 06 July 2018 23:29:32(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Originally Posted by: Penn Go to Quoted Post
No need Marc, just offer CarPlay/android auto and the experience will be great. No idea why Renault are so far behind.

It has that.

Offline FramerateUK  
#70 Posted : 07 July 2018 08:11:54(UTC)
FramerateUK

I Don’t have kids so I don’t want 4 doors
I already have a 2 seat sports car
Why are you so botherd that I prefer 3 doors hatchbacks
After all I would be buying it for me not you,

Why? Because you keep banging on about it on a public forum, so you clearly want someone to respond LOL
Offline probecomp  
#71 Posted : 08 July 2018 08:10:59(UTC)
probecomp

I love that all these reviews say the car is firm and has aggressive steering - all things that I like! Big Smile
Offline g7egt  
#72 Posted : 08 July 2018 08:58:46(UTC)
g7egt

Yep totally agree I want it to be this way. Don’t what a comfy and over refined Golf.
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#73 Posted : 08 July 2018 09:19:55(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: probecomp Go to Quoted Post
I love that all these reviews say the car is firm and has aggressive steering - all things that I like! Big Smile

Totally agree Probecomp, it still amazes me that people buy the Sport Suspension on a car like this. RS are good at the hardcore end of the Hot Hatch market and imo that is where they should be concentrating their efforts.

I think many on here would be better serviced by a 'VAG Flappy' product. I blame the 200T/220T for dumbing down the Renaultsport Ethos and attracting the soft point and squirt brigade.
Offline Lewis  
#74 Posted : 09 July 2018 13:18:19(UTC)
Lewis

I think the Autocar review is b*llox. The points they raise about suspension and aggressive diff are what I like about my current Mk3 Trophy, it makes the car engaging and alive, and you have to drive the thing to keep it on the road. As others have said i'll wait and see what Evo say ad they're the best group of motoring journalists in my opinion. The PH review was positive which is good!

The comments above about alcantara I don't get either, I've had it in my other Trophy used daily for three years and it was spot on...it also looks good imoSmile
Offline fastdave  
#75 Posted : 12 July 2018 13:18:18(UTC)
fastdave

We'll have to wait another month for the EVO review. It's up against the Type R and the Golf R in next months mag.