Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<5678>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline CraigI  
#151 Posted : 03 February 2019 07:12:40(UTC)
CraigI

Out of interest what other manufacturers host and post on their own forums?
I have no idea.

I’m surprised the forum has lasted as long as it has, look at the standard of posts from repetitive bores, folk with massive chips on their shoulders that think the world owes them and the constant complainers.
It’s not a community, more of a complaints post box.
Not worth the hassle IMO, so no surprise Renault aren’t overly active.

Edited by user 03 February 2019 07:15:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:22:23(UTC) MrVix  
#152 Posted : 03 February 2019 07:42:09(UTC)
MrVix

Keep it on topic please guys, you have been told once.
Offline Georgeski  
#153 Posted : 03 February 2019 09:20:14(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
I have no idea.

I'm not aware of any of the large manufacturers posting on their own forums. I think this one was a rare exception!
Offline sunnylunn  
#154 Posted : 03 February 2019 09:31:35(UTC)
sunnylunn

for me, the new Megane is the best looking of the current crop of hot hatch, I really couldn't live with a CTR, regardless of how good it is (very)Its getting decent reviews, just not what Renaultsport used to get, thats a sign of how much the opposition have caught up/passed the benchmarks. All the negative comments coming from usual suspects having never driven any of the cars they rave about, this is a Renault forum, for Renault owners, or thats how id assume Renault meant it to be when they set it up.
Online ray ban  
#155 Posted : 03 February 2019 10:24:49(UTC)
ray ban

I see what you mean there, but I think even Renault got themselves confused here. The 220 Trophy has the hardest ride of any standard car I've been in. Whatever they were planning, it not comparable to any of the softer alternatives (and odd since the old Trophy had better dampening than the Cup).

But yeah, dropping the manual and not putting on Brembos did make it less focussed. It's just a little frustrating because the 220 was only a few changes away from being a genuinely great car.

I'd say the new Megane is a pretty brilliant car on it's own anyway - it's a step up from the MK3. Unfortunately everyone else has upped their game too. But it's only a good thing as it gives us all more choice.

Was thinking of getting a Megane, but what with all the trouble people have had with the 1st batch I'll wait & see.

I've got a 220 Trophy.
I think its a great little car, but on the next one:-
Gears = Manual.
Brakes = Brembo.
Seats = Recaro.
Colour = Storm Grey (bit of a wish that one)Big Smile
Offline sunnylunn  
#156 Posted : 03 February 2019 11:10:25(UTC)
sunnylunn

the Fiesta ST had a much worse ride than the 220, one I couldn't or wouldn't want to live with in a road car, haven't had a go in the new ST yet, but its supposed to be a lot better.

Hoping Renault make a manual and Edc for next Clio, stop all the driving gods moaning.
Offline FramerateUK  
#157 Posted : 03 February 2019 11:19:11(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: ray ban Go to Quoted Post

Was thinking of getting a Megane, but what with all the trouble people have had with the 1st batch I'll wait & see.

Mine's been flawless. I've only read of the two people on here having issues. If it was widespread I think you'd see a lot more!
Offline sunnylunn  
#158 Posted : 03 February 2019 11:22:16(UTC)
sunnylunn

Did Del ever get his sorted?
Offline Georgeski  
#159 Posted : 03 February 2019 11:59:20(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: sunnylunn Go to Quoted Post
the Fiesta ST had a much worse ride than the 220, one I couldn't or wouldn't want to live with in a road car, haven't had a go in the new ST yet, but its supposed to be a lot better.

Hoping Renault make a manual and Edc for next Clio, stop all the driving gods moaning.

The launch photos for the new Clio suggest that there will be a manual RS.
Offline Rolo  
#160 Posted : 03 February 2019 12:21:08(UTC)
Rolo

I had a Fiesta ST Mountune. It rode like it was on square wheels! Loved taking it for a Sunday morning blast but it was my only car & day to day it was just too wearing. I only kept it for a year.

As a side note, some magazines are suggesting Renault have no plans for an RS version of the next Clio!
Back to the Megane, I've driven the Cup version on road & track and don't find it that bad.(even though I've ordered mine with the Sport chassis).
Offline Kirsty172  
#161 Posted : 03 February 2019 13:25:17(UTC)
Kirsty172

I must have jelly bones or something.

Fiesta ST is perfectly fine for the road.

Civic Tye R FK2 is also perfectly acceptable for the road. +R Mode used very regularly too.

Why not buy an SUV if you want a soft ride?
Offline sunnylunn  
#162 Posted : 03 February 2019 14:05:46(UTC)
sunnylunn

who said I wanted a soft ride or an SUV? just mentioned I wouldn't want to live with the ride on the old ST, id be keen to try the new one, also never said anything about the type R having a bad ride, only that I'm not keen on how it looks.
Offline del115  
#163 Posted : 03 February 2019 16:31:39(UTC)
del115

Sadly not yet, court papers are now complete and ready for submission.

My solicitor thought that it might be of benefit to give Lookers sight of this to encourage them to settle my claim.
Received a response on 22nd January saying that this was now in the hands of their legal department.
Since then, radio silence.
Cannot say I am that surprised as throughout they have tried a number of what turned out to be delaying tactics, none of which produced anything positive.
My overall impression is that they are hoping that I will give in - good luck on that one.
I now have a further appointment with my solicitor on the 14th when, unless Lookers surprise me, the court papers will be submitted.
Not likely to get a hearing until June'ish but I can be patient when I need to be.
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:23:17(UTC) Roblynn1977  
#164 Posted : 03 February 2019 17:52:11(UTC)
Roblynn1977

Originally Posted by: del115 Go to Quoted Post

My solicitor thought that it might be of benefit to give Lookers sight of this to encourage them to settle my claim.
Received a response on 22nd January saying that this was now in the hands of their legal department.
Cannot say I am that surprised as throughout they have tried a number of what turned out to be delaying tactics, none of which produced anything positive.
My overall impression is that they are hoping that I will give in - good luck on that one.
I now have a further appointment with my solicitor on the 14th when, unless Lookers surprise me, the court papers will be submitted.
Not likely to get a hearing until June'ish but I can be patient when I need to be.

Can’t believe they have let this game so far Del. Really hope the court find in your favour.

I guess this will be you finished with Renault now?
Offline Rolo  
#165 Posted : 03 February 2019 18:26:32(UTC)
Rolo

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post

Civic Tye R FK2 is also perfectly acceptable for the road. +R Mode used very regularly too.

People on this forum make me laugh, who think a car has to have a rock hard ride to be a "proper" hot hatch!! The secret to a fast road car is keeping as much rubber as possible in contact with the road. If you're constantly having to back off because the car is too stiff & jumping from bump to bump this isn't happening! Google someone like Matt or Roger Becker, generally regarded as handling/ride gurus who developed the suspension for Lotus & Aston Martin.
IMHO the Cup springs,ARBs & diff should be standard on the Megane RS but with adaptive dampers!
By the way, in the 3 years since the Fiesta ST, I've been running a 308 GTI which many magazines say has a too hard ride. Yes, its firm, but more supple over bumps. Doesn't bang into the bump stops like the Fiesta!

Edited by user 03 February 2019 18:30:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline f.a.t  
#166 Posted : 03 February 2019 18:58:08(UTC)
f.a.t

I thought the reason all reviews of the current Honda is so much better than the old one was because the standard suspension is now softer and that sport and +R in your car was undriveable. I think the negative reviews for the Megane revolve around the 4 wheel steer in a front wheel drive car. Watching the Megane on fifth gear through the cones slalom in relation to the other hot hatches shows the benefit of that system.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#167 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:01:02(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
I have no idea.

I’m surprised the forum has lasted as long as it has, look at the standard of posts from repetitive bores, folk with massive chips on their shoulders that think the world owes them and the constant complainers.
It’s not a community, more of a complaints post box.
Not worth the hassle IMO, so no surprise Renault aren’t overly active.

Fully agree
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#168 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:02:07(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Originally Posted by: Roblynn1977 Go to Quoted Post

Can’t believe they have let this game so far Del. Really hope the court find in your favour.

And why was your earlier post removed? Very odd
User is suspended until 26/07/2046 21:23:17(UTC) Roblynn1977  
#169 Posted : 03 February 2019 21:15:06(UTC)
Roblynn1977

Originally Posted by: Buffalo Girls Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Roblynn1977 Go to Quoted Post

And why was your earlier post removed? Very odd

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ No clue
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#170 Posted : 03 February 2019 22:02:50(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Sorry to hear all of this
Online ray ban  
#171 Posted : 04 February 2019 12:04:21(UTC)
ray ban

Blinking Eck....
Hope you get sorted.

Saying that.
The GF wants a Merc SLC, why.... not a clue, its her money.
Seen a couple at the Merc Dealer who had some good deals.

Went into the reviews.
One guy had bought some 18 plate £70K Merc & it is never out of the garage, so he's taking them to court!

Offline FramerateUK  
#172 Posted : 04 February 2019 15:48:54(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post

The launch photos for the new Clio suggest that there will be a manual RS.

The launch photos are a bit misleading. They're for a Clio "RS Line" rather than the actual RS.
Offline Georgeski  
#173 Posted : 04 February 2019 16:54:46(UTC)
Georgeski

Ah, OK. Shame, it would've been nice to give the market a choice, like the new Megane.
Offline Kirsty172  
#174 Posted : 04 February 2019 18:36:57(UTC)
Kirsty172

Originally Posted by: Rolo Go to Quoted Post

People on this forum make me laugh, who think a car has to have a rock hard ride to be a "proper" hot hatch!! The secret to a fast road car is keeping as much rubber as possible in contact with the road. If you're constantly having to back off because the car is too stiff & jumping from bump to bump this isn't happening! Google someone like Matt or Roger Becker, generally regarded as handling/ride gurus who developed the suspension for Lotus & Aston Martin.
IMHO the Cup springs,ARBs & diff should be standard on the Megane RS but with adaptive dampers!
By the way, in the 3 years since the Fiesta ST, I've been running a 308 GTI which many magazines say has a too hard ride. Yes, its firm, but more supple over bumps. Doesn't bang into the bump stops like the Fiesta!

to be fair, there was never any mention of the benefits of a hard ride WRT handling capability. however, i am pleased that people make you laugh.

the comment that was raised was that the ride was hard. i offered in my opinion that the ride was not hard. it is firm definitely, but as i said, if you are not prepared for some compromise in this type of car, consider buying an alternate type or car.
Offline Kirsty172  
#175 Posted : 04 February 2019 18:42:24(UTC)
Kirsty172

Originally Posted by: f.a.t Go to Quoted Post

I thought the reason all reviews of the current Honda is so much better than the old one was because the standard suspension is now softer and that sport and +R in your car was undriveable. I think the negative reviews for the Megane revolve around the 4 wheel steer in a front wheel drive car. Watching the Megane on fifth gear through the cones slalom in relation to the other hot hatches shows the benefit of that system.

i only test drove an FK8 some time ago, so can't recall for certain. i think i recall reading that sport was allegedly harder than regular in the fk2, but +r was harder than +r in the fk2. the increased operating window for the car is with the new comfort mode as you correctly point out. so, nominally it can go softer and also harder than the fk2. having said that, i don't find +r mode undrivable at all. to be honest, i don't even fully comprehend what that statement even means (although like you, i've seen it written on several occasions).

the 4ws is what puts me off the megane. the feeling from the focus rs, with the odd things it was doing with torque transfer across the rear axle, made it feel completely unnatural and synthetic. couldn't get on with it at all, which was a big reason for selling so quickly and changing for the civic. perhaps it is beneficial to handling, but to me, i'm not sure the behaviour and feel of that 4ws would really APPEAL to me.