Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline xDMS96  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2018 10:39:33(UTC)
xDMS96

Hi,

So I purchased a Clio GT Line brand new back in September 2014 for my first car at 18 years old. Fantastic first car couldn't of asked for anything better for a similar price range. Although now, 4 years later I'm wanting to upgrade to the Clio RS 220 Trophy.

Is there anyone that made a similar upgrade? Just wanting opinions from everyone who has a 220 Trophy and wether this would be a good move in upgrading?

Would highly appreciate any views and opinions on this either positive or negative. I want to weigh all my options.

Thanks.

Edited by user 22 August 2018 10:42:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RSaddict  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2018 12:30:47(UTC)
RSaddict

“Hi there, my name’s Chalk”, “hey, good to meet you, my names Cheese”

Clio GT line meets RS220 Trophy...

Absolutely no comparison, other than they share the same name. The RS220 will blow your socks off coming from a GT Line.

Good luck with the insurance at 22 years old!
Offline Tanim  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2018 12:45:54(UTC)
Tanim

Originally Posted by: xDMS96 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

So I purchased a Clio GT Line brand new back in September 2014 for my first car at 18 years old. Fantastic first car couldn't of asked for anything better for a similar price range. Although now, 4 years later I'm wanting to upgrade to the Clio RS 220 Trophy.

Is there anyone that made a similar upgrade? Just wanting opinions from everyone who has a 220 Trophy and wether this would be a good move in upgrading?

Would highly appreciate any views and opinions on this either positive or negative. I want to weigh all my options.

Thanks.

Go for a test drive Cool
Offline xDMS96  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2018 12:52:24(UTC)
xDMS96

Cheers, yeah I do plan to go for a test drive in the coming weeks.Unlikely that any of my nearest dealers will have the RS220 in to test drive but who knows.

Insurance doesn't seem too bad considering what I have paid for the 4 years of my GT Line. So the last year insurance was £1200 mark, and RS220 is quoting around £1500 so doesn't seem too bad. My first year of GT Line was £2400 being 18 an all. Cry
Offline Tanim  
#5 Posted : 23 August 2018 15:08:22(UTC)
Tanim

Basically, I always wanted a small 5 door hothatch that can also be driven through heavy traffics - daily. This is why I didn't consider 208 GTi or Fiesta ST or Type R. Apart from the fact that steering isn't as sharp and direct as Type R I can't really complaint much. The 1.6 engine is actually from Nissan (DiG-T Nismo RS). My most favourite gadget is the flappy paddles closely followed by RS Vision LED lights.

It's not blistering fast (0 to 60 in 6.6 sec) but handling of and steering feedback is the best of its league! Grippy chassis and looks absolutely fantastic in liquid Yellow. Ride is very firm but not crashy. Thanks to those rally-style hydraulic dampers, lets you know exactly what's going on the road. Throttle response is razor sharp, being turbo you won't feel or notice any lag at all.

You can drive in 3 different modes: Auto, RenaultSport and Race. Auto is your best friend in traffic crawls with constant start-stop. In RenaultSport mode the throttle is sharper, car feels stiffer but gears are still automatic. It's the Race mode that sets the 220 completely free from auto. It fully disables ESP and traction control and allows you to hit the limiter, you also get the familiar up-change beep and gives the most aggressive throttle mapping. It also allows Launch Control.

Highly recommend the Akrapovič exhausts. Those up-shift beeps with the exhaust purrs truly bonds you with this little wonder so much that you become one with the car while clipping an apex. The beauty is that soon as it's traffic you can switch back into auto, and relax.

RenaultSport has a long heritage of racing breed and Clio Trophy has come a long way. It's not everyone's cup of tea but those who like it, will love it.

As per insurance, if you can afford it then just go for it. Good luck young man!
Offline RSaddict  
#6 Posted : 23 August 2018 18:32:04(UTC)
RSaddict

Originally Posted by: Tanim Go to Quoted Post
Basically, I always wanted a small 5 door hothatch that can also be driven through heavy traffics - daily. This is why I didn't consider 208 GTi or Fiesta ST or Type R. Apart from the fact that steering isn't as sharp and direct as Type R I can't really complaint much. The 1.6 engine is actually from Nissan (DiG-T Nismo RS). My most favourite gadget is the flappy paddles closely followed by RS Vision LED lights.

It's not blistering fast (0 to 60 in 6.6 sec) but handling of and steering feedback is the best of its league! Grippy chassis and looks absolutely fantastic in liquid Yellow. Ride is very firm but not crashy. Thanks to those rally-style hydraulic dampers, lets you know exactly what's going on the road. Throttle response is razor sharp, being turbo you won't feel or notice any lag at all.

You can drive in 3 different modes: Auto, RenaultSport and Race. Auto is your best friend in traffic crawls with constant start-stop. In RenaultSport mode the throttle is sharper, car feels stiffer but gears are still automatic. It's the Race mode that sets the 220 completely free from auto. It fully disables ESP and traction control and allows you to hit the limiter, you also get the familiar up-change beep and gives the most aggressive throttle mapping. It also allows Launch Control.

Highly recommend the Akrapovič exhausts. Those up-shift beeps with the exhaust purrs truly bonds you with this little wonder so much that you become one with the car while clipping an apex. The beauty is that soon as it's traffic you can switch back into auto, and relax.

RenaultSport has a long heritage of racing breed and Clio Trophy has come a long way. It's not everyone's cup of tea but those who like it, will love it.

As per insurance, if you can afford it then just go for it. Good luck young man!

For info Launch Control is also available in R.S. mode and can provide better launches as traction control is still on and you can use auto.
Offline xDMS96  
#7 Posted : 24 August 2018 07:48:27(UTC)
xDMS96

Thanks Tanim,

Really appreciate the feedback. Yeah the Akrapovic exhausts are a must for me to give it a little purr. GT Line was my first car at 18 so I'm excited to test drive the RS 220 and feel the power difference. Personally, not a big fan of the liquid yellow although its a really nice stand out colour and stays with Renaults origins. I love a car thats stealthy so I'm gonna go for the black pack, stealthier the better Wink

I will defo let you know how i get on with the test drive but im sure i will love it.
Offline beh  
#8 Posted : 24 August 2018 09:16:07(UTC)
beh

If you want stealth RS, go for black with black pack as mentioned. I have it, and it really blends in. Yes, bigger wheels may tell something, but in general car looks almost as any other normal car. :)
Offline Tanim  
#9 Posted : 24 August 2018 10:50:39(UTC)
Tanim

I used to drive Mazda 6 MPS (de-badged), it's a proper Q car.

To make the 220 completely sleeper just buy a silver or black one, de-badge R.S. logo and get silver alloys.

You can get it tuned to 251 bhp https://www.renaultsport...aspx?g=posts&t=89068

0 to 60 still would be around 6.1 seconds I guess.