Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rs power  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2018 20:17:16(UTC)
rs power

Offline Theos  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2018 22:24:32(UTC)
Theos

'Bad' would be an understatement. Sadly.
Offline g7egt  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2018 07:29:02(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: Theos Go to Quoted Post

LOL its about handling, if you want point and squirt please see VW group cars, plenty to chose from.
Offline Gerryb92  
#4 Posted : 03 September 2018 08:10:43(UTC)
Gerryb92

Originally Posted by: g7egt Go to Quoted Post

LOL its about handling, if you want point and squirt please see VW group cars, plenty to chose from.

And what about the brake test, mmmm...
Offline H2  
#5 Posted : 03 September 2018 10:13:38(UTC)
H2

I was so hoping the new RS would be a great car, but after test driving it I felt disappointed. Don’t get me wrong it’s a good car but it needed to be so much more than that. I was going to change my clubsport golf for one but after getting back in my golf it just feels such a better all round car.
Offline Theos  
#6 Posted : 03 September 2018 10:23:25(UTC)
Theos

Originally Posted by: Gerryb92 Go to Quoted Post

^this
Offline Marc_250  
#7 Posted : 03 September 2018 11:02:14(UTC)
Marc_250

^this

Pad compound/tyres/test accuracy etc could have all caused that. Perhaps the Megane can consistently pull up like that 10 times in a row and the other would have cooked their brakes or maybe it needs brakes to be up to temp to work at best.

To me that one time standing stop test doesn't hold much value.

Offline Theos  
#8 Posted : 03 September 2018 12:24:59(UTC)
Theos

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post

^this

Pad compound/tyres/test accuracy etc could have all caused that. Perhaps the Megane can consistently pull up like that 10 times in a row and the other would have cooked their brakes or maybe it needs brakes to be up to temp to work at best.

Don't get me wrong, I like the car too and I quite want one, but this clip is showing a pretty ugly face. Last at breaking and also last at acceleration, both standing and in gear.

These been said, I hope that the test somehow wasn't correct done, that's everything I can do so far regarding this, really.
Offline Gerryb92  
#9 Posted : 03 September 2018 13:02:22(UTC)
Gerryb92

I did think about this as there are many variables, but you'd like to think that any decent reviewer would run the test multiple times before coming to a conclusion. (Although you can't really assume that they did!).

Regardless, it doesn't make the Megane look very good in comparison to the rivals, and some potential customers will perhaps sit up and take notice. A PR disaster for Renault if you ask me.... albeit one they didn't have direct control of.

Edited by user 03 September 2018 13:02:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrVix  
#10 Posted : 03 September 2018 13:43:45(UTC)
MrVix

As I said in the other thread I would really put this review to one side and take it with a pinch of salt. Despite what others on here may have you believe the reviewer is not the sharpest tool in the box.
Offline F1nk  
#11 Posted : 03 September 2018 16:33:02(UTC)
F1nk

If we're going solely on reviews I'd trust Evo car mag more than these guys and they gave the Megane a very good rating so that kinda flips it. Who do you believe? Who do you trust? Having driven one sure there are things I'm not so keen on but there's plenty I am.
Offline g7egt  
#12 Posted : 03 September 2018 19:27:02(UTC)
g7egt

^this

Don't get me wrong, I like the car too and I quite want one, but this clip is showing a pretty ugly face. Last at breaking and also last at acceleration, both standing and in gear.

These been said, I hope that the test somehow wasn't correct done, that's everything I can do so far regarding this, really.

Fair enough it is a test, as they had all of the cars there why didn't they chuck them round a track and we could see what they are all like.
If you looked at the stats before the test you would have known it was not going to do well, its one of the heaviest cars there with one of the lowest power outputs. The I30N performed well considering it weight and power, good car.
Offline g7egt  
#13 Posted : 03 September 2018 19:34:34(UTC)
g7egt

One thing I've noticed in the new RS280 is third gear is not that good, if your rolling along at fifty the car seems to pull way harder in 4th rather than 3rd. Mines done 1,400 miles. So I can see why it did not do well in the 3rd gear rolling test. My Cup S drives very different, when you rev it goes all the way to the rev limiter, the RS280 has lots of quick low down shove but runs out of puff near the top end, I find your always in a higher gear.

Edited by user 03 September 2018 19:35:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Marc_250  
#14 Posted : 03 September 2018 20:02:00(UTC)
Marc_250

One thing I've noticed in the new RS280 is third gear is not that good, if your rolling along at fifty the car seems to pull way harder in 4th rather than 3rd. Mines done 1,400 miles. So I can see why it did not do well in the 3rd gear rolling test. My Cup S drives very different, when you rev it goes all the way to the rev limiter, the RS280 has lots of quick low down shove but runs out of puff near the top end, I find your always in a higher gear.

Hmm that kinda sucks. With my old 250 (assume the 265/275 were the same) it rewarded dropping cogs and chasing the limiter..but sounds like the 280 is a bit like my FRS where chasing the limiter and dropping gears can often result in the feeling of disappointment. Like the power/torque ratio isn't quite right.
Offline Rolo  
#15 Posted : 03 September 2018 20:09:28(UTC)
Rolo

Do you really buy a hot hatch for drag racing??
My current car (308 GTI 270) came last in standing start on this video. Evo magazine timed i30N at 6.6 sec 0-60, & 308 GTI at 6.0 sec. Maybe they shouldn't have had a 10 year old driving it!
I'm still happy I've ordered an RS280. Feels just as quick as my 308 but just feels more "sporty" overall.
The Civic Type R is all the magazines' favourite & always wins these type of comparisons; but if you bought one,with your own money,you'd have to look at it everyday!!
I'd have probably loved it 10 years ago, but not now.
Offline MrVix  
#16 Posted : 03 September 2018 20:28:42(UTC)
MrVix

Originally Posted by: Rolo Go to Quoted Post
My current car (308 GTI 270) came last in standing start on this video. Evo magazine timed i30N at 6.6 sec 0-60, & 308 GTI at 6.0 sec. Maybe they shouldn't have had a 10 year old driving it!
I'm still happy I've ordered an RS280. Feels just as quick as my 308 but just feels more "sporty" overall.
The Civic Type R is all the magazines' favourite & always wins these type of comparisons; but if you bought one,with your own money,you'd have to look at it everyday!!

The problem is many of the 'new' Renaultsport customers appear to judge a car by its 0 to 60 and drag performance. I do ask myself, especially those that are going the 'flappy' route if they would be better catered for elsewhere.

What concerns me far more is the widespread quotes of the steering lacking in feel. If that is the case with the Trophy which I suspect it may be then that will certainly push me towards the CTR.

Slightly off topic but I can never seem to get the CTR configurator to work, any one else had the same problem?

Offline g7egt  
#17 Posted : 03 September 2018 20:35:30(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: MrVix Go to Quoted Post

The problem is many of the 'new' Renaultsport customers appear to judge a car by its 0 to 60 and drag performance. I do ask myself, especially those that are going the 'flappy' route if they would be better catered for elsewhere.

What concerns me far more is the widespread quotes of the steering lacking in feel. If that is the case with the Trophy which I suspect it may be then that will certainly push me towards the CTR.

Slightly off topic but I can never seem to get the CTR configurator to work, any one else had the same problem?

There's not much to configure if I remember, standard or GT!

Offline Rolo  
#18 Posted : 03 September 2018 20:52:59(UTC)
Rolo

Did think about a CTR at one point. Configurator froze every time! Went into dealership & was told by salesman,point blank,that there were no deals available & the APR was quite high compared to others.
Have never paid list price for a car in my life & this combined with the looks put me off.

I like the front of the car but the rear!!What's with the big, fake plastic grilles??
Offline g7egt  
#19 Posted : 04 September 2018 07:34:48(UTC)
g7egt

Did think about a CTR at one point. Configurator froze every time! Went into dealership & was told by salesman,point blank,that there were no deals available & the APR was quite high compared to others.
Have never paid list price for a car in my life & this combined with the looks put me off.

I like the front of the car but the rear!!What's with the big, fake plastic grilles??

I know what you mean but people always buy the car that wins all of the tests and the CTR is a comfortable cruiser as well.It's the class leader.
Offline Rolo  
#20 Posted : 04 September 2018 08:03:19(UTC)
Rolo

TBH all the latest crop of Hot Hatches are good cars. There are no bad cars anymore;I'm old enough to remember when some new cars were absolute crap!!
If you like the looks & the interior;like the performance & the way it drives;it suits your driving style & you're happy with the deal then it's the car for you,
whichever car it is.
That's why test drives are so important!
You can read all the reviews & watch all the YouTube vids but until you drive the car you wont know.

I had 45+ minute test drives in the CTR, Golf GTI PP, i30N & RS280 before I made my decision.
And check EVERYTHING!! Not just the performance. You're going to be living with the car everyday so check the stereo,satnav,phone connection,seat comfort,seat & wheel adjustment,low speed ride etc.
Sermon over, think I need a lie down now!!
As a side note; plan your own route in advance for the test drive. The salesman will always take you on a route that shows the car in the best light!!

Edited by user 04 September 2018 08:06:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Theos  
#21 Posted : 04 September 2018 08:09:36(UTC)
Theos

TBH all the latest crop of Hot Hatches are good cars. There are no bad cars anymore;I'm old enough to remember when some new cars were absolute crap!!
If you like the looks & the interior;like the performance & the way it drives;it suits your driving style & you're happy with the deal then it's the car for you,
whichever car it is.
You can read all the reviews & watch all the YouTube vids but until you drive the car you wont know.

I had 45+ minute test drives in the CTR, Golf GTI PP, i30N & RS280 before I made my decision.
And check EVERYTHING!! Not just the performance. You're going to be living with the car everyday so check the stereo,satnav,phone connection,seat comfort,seat & wheel adjustment,low speed ride etc.
As a side note; plan your own route in advance for the test drive. The salesman will always take you on a route that shows the car in the best light!!

Quoted for truth.
Offline MrVix  
#22 Posted : 04 September 2018 08:41:54(UTC)
MrVix

whichever car it is.

I quite agree there is no such thing as a bad car nowadays but it seems slightly ridiculous to buy a car that is clearly lagging behind the best in a class like this by what appears to be a significant margin.

I can quite understand peoples dislike of the way the CTR looks and avoiding it for that reason, what I find slightly more perplexing is settling for a product that is way of the mark as a substitute. I will wait for the Trophy and if Renaultsport are true to previous form it will be a far superior product that will offer real competition to the CTR. Fingers crossed any way.

After the 200/220T debacle and the luke warm 280 reception I really hope RS are going to work their magic on the Trophy.
Offline Tanim  
#23 Posted : 04 September 2018 09:41:06(UTC)
Tanim

^this.

RS Megane is for tracks, if you need a traffic light drag race car then get an A45 or m140i or RS3 instead please LOL
Offline Tanim  
#24 Posted : 04 September 2018 09:44:35(UTC)
Tanim

whichever car it is.

I quite agree there is no such thing as a bad car nowadays but it seems slightly ridiculous to buy a car that is clearly lagging behind the best in a class like this by what appears to be a significant margin.

I can quite understand peoples dislike of the way the CTR looks and avoiding it for that reason, what I find slightly more perplexing is settling for a product that is way of the mark as a substitute. I will wait for the Trophy and if Renaultsport are true to previous form it will be a far superior product that will offer real competition to the CTR. Fingers crossed any way.

After the 200/220T debacle and the luke warm 280 reception I really hope RS are going to work their magic on the Trophy.

Nothing wrong with 220T, you can even remap it to 250 bhp if 0 to 62 is what let you down. Don't say it's because of no manual gear because there's plenty of cars with dual clutch now.
Offline Rolo  
#25 Posted : 04 September 2018 16:06:38(UTC)
Rolo

whichever car it is.

The RS280 is not "clearly lagging behind". I don't buy cars for traffic light grand prix or for bragging rights. I buy for the whole package. If bhp is a concern could easily be remapped to more than the CTR's 320 bhp. In a recent test against the Golf R & CTR in Car magazine; yes the CTR came 1st but one tester preferred the RS280 overall.