Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline FramerateUK  
#51 Posted : 23 November 2018 12:39:59(UTC)
FramerateUK

You can't feel the 4WS in normal driving at all.

It's very useful when you're turning around in a small space, but in that situation, you won't feel it.

To get the back wheels to steer at speed, you have to get quite a bit of lock on, I'd be surprised if anyone would do that with passengers in the back!
Online Georgeski  
#52 Posted : 23 November 2018 13:07:18(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

It's very useful when you're turning around in a small space, but in that situation, you won't feel it.

To get the back wheels to steer at speed, you have to get quite a bit of lock on, I'd be surprised if anyone would do that with passengers in the back!

Odd that it is consistently mentioned in every review as a negative. Hence why I intend to test drive asap.
Offline Marc_250  
#53 Posted : 23 November 2018 15:12:21(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post
I don’t realise that the EDC version of the Trophy produced more torque.

Maybe an error in the EVO article? Thought it was the EDC that was limited on torque due to the box
Offline CraigI  
#54 Posted : 23 November 2018 15:20:55(UTC)
CraigI

UK road test will likely be a bit more revealing.
Then head to head with CTR.
Hopefully they both follow soon.

Personally liked the way the 280 with Cup I drove went about it’s business.
Does feel a touch strange at first on a fast back road, but nothing too much to it and with a few miles under your belt you’ll be fine with it.

Edited by user 23 November 2018 15:22:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Online Georgeski  
#55 Posted : 23 November 2018 15:32:49(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
I don’t realise that the EDC version of the Trophy produced more torque.

Maybe an error in the EVO article? Thought it was the EDC that was limited on torque due to the box

All reviews mention it, so either with the briefing materials they were given or its true. I'm sure there is a margin of error, but its a bit of a worry for the people with manual boxes getting them mapped if its at the limit for the torque it can take......
Online Georgeski  
#56 Posted : 23 November 2018 15:34:25(UTC)
Georgeski

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
UK road test will likely be a bit more revealing.
Then head to head with CTR.
Hopefully they both follow soon.

Personally liked the way the 280 with Cup I drove went about it’s business.
Does feel a touch strange at first on a fast back road, but nothing too much to it and with a few miles under your belt you’ll be fine with it.

A friend has put his 280 up for sale because he thinks the handling is so odd. He's an experienced driver too.
Offline vasterad  
#57 Posted : 23 November 2018 16:01:07(UTC)
vasterad

A friend has put his 280 up for sale because he thinks the handling is so odd. He's an experienced driver too.

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

100% agree, you can't feel it in normal driving. I have RS Monitor where I can see how 4-control works and you need quite a bit of lock on. To be honest I like it and I clearly know when it's 4-control or oversteer.

Offline Kirsty172  
#58 Posted : 24 November 2018 10:51:00(UTC)
Kirsty172

I need to get a test booked when the Trophy is available as the reviews are a bit underwhelming to be honest, they make the 4 wheel steer sound odd and to be honest. Agree with Craig that the looks are spot on though.

Completely off topic, but I like the look of the new Suzuki Jimny and I don't know why...

that would be my reservation too. the focus RS felt very unnatural at speed due to the rear clutch packs. i couldn't get on with it, it just felt wrong and didn't actually make for an enjoyable car. perhaps its just a younger person thing and it will appeal to them. these kind of systems in my view take away the driver's input and skill to balance a car. it just doesn't feel natural and you can't judge how the car is actually behaving.
Offline f.a.t  
#59 Posted : 25 November 2018 07:15:25(UTC)
f.a.t

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
I need to get a test booked when the Trophy is available as the reviews are a bit underwhelming to be honest, they make the 4 wheel steer sound odd and to be honest. Agree with Craig that the looks are spot on though.

Completely off topic, but I like the look of the new Suzuki Jimny and I don't know why...

that would be my reservation too. the focus RS felt very unnatural at speed due to the rear clutch packs. i couldn't get on with it, it just felt wrong and didn't actually make for an enjoyable car. perhaps its just a younger person thing and it will appeal to them. these kind of systems in my view take away the driver's input and skill to balance a car. it just doesn't feel natural and you can't judge how the car is actually behaving.

I liked the observation from Top Gear,when watching the Trophy in the wet at Estoril."I watched a couple of drivers with more skill messing around,and they were basically drifting entire corners on the lockstops". He did end the piece saying he felt the handling was not authentic. he felt on the road in Sport mode the car made more sense.
Offline UnclePhil  
#60 Posted : 30 November 2018 15:31:34(UTC)
UnclePhil

Who is looking forward to ordering the Trophy on Monday? /s
Offline racing blue  
#61 Posted : 01 December 2018 16:16:42(UTC)
racing blue

Got information from my dealer this morning that everything has been postponed until 7th January
Offline Rolo  
#62 Posted : 01 December 2018 16:37:36(UTC)
Rolo

Originally Posted by: racing blue Go to Quoted Post
Got information from my dealer this morning that everything has been postponed until 7th January

Is that just for the Trophy or the RS280 as well??
Offline jaimecotton  
#63 Posted : 01 December 2018 21:53:55(UTC)
jaimecotton

Offline Kieranidus  
#64 Posted : 02 December 2018 07:46:39(UTC)
Kieranidus

well i can order my trophy on wednesday 👍 cant wait!
Offline racing blue  
#65 Posted : 02 December 2018 12:53:47(UTC)
racing blue

Originally Posted by: Rolo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: racing blue Go to Quoted Post

Is that just for the Trophy or the RS280 as well??

I don’t know - I ordered my 280 in May and after a rant with Renault customer service in September my dealer sends me updates as soon as they get them from Renault.

The update said prices etc delayed until 7th January due to continuing backlog at homologation centre
Offline Kirsty172  
#66 Posted : 02 December 2018 13:45:49(UTC)
Kirsty172

they're gonna sell about 12 of these in the uk after the luke warm reviews, total fiasco on the marketing front due to the wltp delays, and 'in the pack' pricing (but poor residuals leading to noncompetitive PCP).

i know there's enthusiasts buying these still, but it's a limited market and i don't see a viable business case for RS in the uk anymore. does anyone know of any dealers left that really are promoting this sub-brand and giving it the support and marketing that it needs to be competitive?

shame, used to be market leaders but i don't really see much support even from france. alpine going to deliver the high margin stuff, renault focusing on SUVs, no real purpose for RS anymore. similar for subaru and sti in europe. they've put money into this brand clearly (edc for clio, 4ws for megane) but their approach seems a bit haphazard vs. the competition, is not aligned with the past brand strengths, and in some ways just seems different for the sake of being different.
Offline Theos  
#67 Posted : 02 December 2018 15:30:18(UTC)
Theos

they're gonna sell about 12 of these in the uk after the luke warm reviews, total fiasco on the marketing front due to the wltp delays, and 'in the pack' pricing (but poor residuals leading to noncompetitive PCP).

i know there's enthusiasts buying these still, but it's a limited market and i don't see a viable business case for RS in the uk anymore. does anyone know of any dealers left that really are promoting this sub-brand and giving it the support and marketing that it needs to be competitive?

shame, used to be market leaders but i don't really see much support even from france. alpine going to deliver the high margin stuff, renault focusing on SUVs, no real purpose for RS anymore. similar for subaru and sti in europe. they've put money into this brand clearly (edc for clio, 4ws for megane) but their approach seems a bit haphazard vs. the competition, is not aligned with the past brand strengths, and in some ways just seems different for the sake of being different.

This. Also, if you look at their ads and comercials, you'll see they are the worst possible, so probably their marketing department sucks deeply, they simply don't know how to sell.

Edited by user 02 December 2018 18:03:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rolo  
#68 Posted : 02 December 2018 15:43:17(UTC)
Rolo

Ordered mine in August with 0% PCP, good residual value & good monthly payments. Be interesting to see if the deal stays the same. If they reduce the residual value & the monthly payments rise as a result; that will be the final kick in the teeth after all the waiting & the uncertainty.Think I'll probably go elsewhere.
Offline Penn  
#69 Posted : 02 December 2018 16:18:44(UTC)
Penn

The market for hot hatches is certainly strong in the UK. You need a great product to succeed though, not an average one that’s really quite expensive.

Look at the old type r, too niche and hardcore. The new one adjusted based on market demands and it’s a far better product.
Offline g7egt  
#70 Posted : 02 December 2018 19:34:41(UTC)
g7egt

Originally Posted by: jaimecotton Go to Quoted Post
https://youtu.be/x4E9yR5dsKA

3 racing drivers pick the Hyundai Sad
Offline Rolo  
#71 Posted : 02 December 2018 20:42:56(UTC)
Rolo

Originally Posted by: g7egt Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jaimecotton Go to Quoted Post
https://youtu.be/x4E9yR5dsKA

3 racing drivers pick the Hyundai Sad

That's cos it's not their money! If you're spending nearly £30k of your own money you're not going to be happy with the cheap, plasticky interior!
Offline Kirsty172  
#72 Posted : 02 December 2018 20:59:09(UTC)
Kirsty172

i think you all make very good points. the market is more congested now for sure - more, and better competition and i don't think there is the demand now that there was 10 years ago. so, it's a very much tighter market - in the uk at least. i don't think i see evidence that RUK recognise that, or that they are that fussed about losing all the market. just think what RS used to be - the UK market was i think the biggest outside of france, it was obviously shifting a lot of cars and so on. so i understand the lack of interest in supporting the brand.

if you got a decent pcp, very good, if you like pcp and it's competitive then not a problem. hope that is does eventually materialise...when i read stories of folks waiting 10 months for a megane 280, my eyes roll in my head. that's some devotion!

it is interesting to wonder what all the ending golf r pcp buyers are changing to. is it another hot hatch? is it another golf r? is it aome SUV thing?

we've talked about it before, but like subaru, i think RS alienated a lot of the strong and big customer base the built it. i lost interest, but i did get back into them with my modified 250. that was a good car. i think i should have had a 275 cup s before they finished them, but missed the last few. the new megane worries me with the 4ws. the clio hasn't presented anything desirable for me at all. and like you say, it's a difficult decision to make with quite a bit of other competition now.

as for the n30 - i'm not so sure in your argument. RS interiors not so long ago were awful, they still sold. it does depend on your own priorities. i went 'backwards' to a FK2 CTR after the focus rs, because i wanted something more hardcore, and i felt it was actually the closest to an RS i could get in the modern world.

let's see if they release prices and/or order codes in january...
Offline Rolo  
#73 Posted : 03 December 2018 15:47:32(UTC)
Rolo

Heard from my dealer today confirming what other posts on here have said; that order books won't open till 7th January. They reckon the earliest I should expect my car, ordered in August , is April!! I feel sorry for people who ordered in May; that'll be nearly a year when they finally get their car! Dealer couldn't give me any info on whether prices are staying the same or not.
Offline Theos  
#74 Posted : 03 December 2018 15:59:20(UTC)
Theos

Heard from my dealer today confirming what other posts on here have said; that order books won't open till 7th January. They reckon the earliest I should expect my car, ordered in August , is April!! I feel sorry for people who ordered in May; that'll be nearly a year when they finally get their car! Dealer couldn't give me any info on whether prices are staying the same or not.

Can you call the dealer and ask if the 7th January is about the Trophy or regular RS 280 too ?
Offline Rolo  
#75 Posted : 03 December 2018 17:06:56(UTC)
Rolo

Originally Posted by: Theos Go to Quoted Post

Can you call the dealer and ask if the 7th January is about the Trophy or regular RS 280 too ?

I've ordered an RS280. He told me the 280s will be built before the Trophies to fulfil all existing orders!