Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MartinClioMK3Sport  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2018 07:24:04(UTC)
MartinClioMK3Sport

Hi All,

I bought my first CLIO RS200 2010 as i wanted to give track a go and been told this is a good car to start with.

Any tips on what i should do to get it ready for track use? I've put Pilot Sport 4 tyres on it already and want to upgrade my pads but unsure which brand is best and where to get them from.

Any tips would be great!

Offline shocker  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2018 09:17:36(UTC)
shocker

Big intercooler
Ds1.11 pads
Second cat delete
Remap at rs tuning
Have fun
Offline John_walker74  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2018 09:19:22(UTC)
John_walker74

Can you answer a few questions first:

1) is it only a track car or is it road and track?
2) what is your budget? Do you consider £100 expensive for brake pads or £200+...
3) do you want to keep it relatively standard and any mods easily reversible?
Offline mark@rawlinson  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2018 10:25:28(UTC)
mark@rawlinson

Originally Posted by: shocker Go to Quoted Post
Big intercooler
Ds1.11 pads
Second cat delete
Remap at rs tuning
Have fun

Intercooler? 2010 is normally aspirated, eg 200 not 200t Wink

All you need for track is a helmet, tuition is the next best mod
Offline FramerateUK  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2018 12:32:06(UTC)
FramerateUK

Your first trackday?

Leave the car standard, get some tuition.

Stick to standard road tyres (PS4 will be fine) and normal pads. The limits of grip will be a little lower and will be far better to learn on. As you get more experience by all means buy some grippy tyres and fit better brake pads.

Just check you've got enough depth left on the tyres, plenty of thickness on the brake pads, and make sure your brake fluid is reasonably new. Other than that, just get a feel for the car and enjoy the day :).

Edited by user 06 November 2018 20:14:07(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling!

Offline RSaddict  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2018 14:54:19(UTC)
RSaddict

Quite agree, I know mines a 200T but I just rock up at the circuit, fiddle with the tyre pressures once hot and enjoy the day! Then replace tyres and brakes if necessary afterwards! Although the Dunlop Sportmaxx 2’s hold up very well), never modded anything.
#7 Posted : 09 November 2018 11:19:02(UTC)
MartinClioMK3Sport

Originally Posted by: John_walker74 Go to Quoted Post
Can you answer a few questions first:

1) is it only a track car or is it road and track?
2) what is your budget? Do you consider £100 expensive for brake pads or £200+...
3) do you want to keep it relatively standard and any mods easily reversible?

Its for road and track

Probably would spend £100 on pads at first but £200 for pads is a little expensive

For now relatively standard with easily reversible but in future maybe more .. (Not planning on putting a different engine in or anything too extreme)

Just wanting to know what i need to change so it copes better for my first time and then maybe more as i go along.

Not got £1000's to throw away and the theory is to just do bits at a time (Maybe an exhaust upgrade in the future)
#8 Posted : 09 November 2018 11:22:39(UTC)
MartinClioMK3Sport

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post
Your first trackday?

Stick to standard road tyres (PS4 will be fine) and normal pads. The limits of grip will be a little lower and will be far better to learn on. As you get more experience by all means buy some grippy tyres and fit better brake pads.

Just check you've got enough depth left on the tyres, plenty of thickness on the brake pads, and make sure your brake fluid is reasonably new. Other than that, just get a feel for the car and enjoy the day :).

...........................................................................................................

Thanks! My brother has been doing track for years in his cooper s and now JCW Mini... He has a group of mates who he goes with and was going to get them in with me to teach me abit.

I think its got cheap pads in the front at the min as the braking doesn't feel as anchoring as its described in reviews. Got Brembos on the back and was going to get the Yellowstuff pads and upgrade the brake fluid too (ATE type 200)

Are Yellowstuff pads decent?
Offline Georgeski  
#9 Posted : 09 November 2018 11:24:12(UTC)
Georgeski

Tuition, pads and tyres are the only things that will really make a difference to a clio on track.
Offline del115  
#10 Posted : 09 November 2018 13:29:18(UTC)
del115

Originally Posted by: MartinClioMK3Sport Go to Quoted Post
Your first trackday?

...........................................................................................................

Thanks! My brother has been doing track for years in his cooper s and now JCW Mini... He has a group of mates who he goes with and was going to get them in with me to teach me abit.

I think its got cheap pads in the front at the min as the braking doesn't feel as anchoring as its described in reviews. Got Brembos on the back and was going to get the Yellowstuff pads and upgrade the brake fluid too (ATE type 200)

Yellowstuff would be fine - a pretty good mid-range option.
Brake balance is pretty much to the fronts on the the Clio 200 but if it were me I would have the same pad type (as with tyres) all round.

If you going to change the brake fluid then look for a good quality Dot4 competition brand.
They are not all the same though so check the temperature range - RBF600 @ 312°C is my choice.

If you have not already got them then you should also consider changing your brake hoses for braided.
Standard are not very comfortable or efficient at high temperatures.

Offline John_walker74  
#11 Posted : 09 November 2018 15:55:09(UTC)
John_walker74

Some have reported a squeak when depressing the clutch pedal when using ATE brake fluid (clutch uses same fluid) although I didn't notice it. I'd go for Motul RBF 600 as a good upgrade that isn't too expensive.

I always ran cheap standard pads in the rear as they don't do much and the esp is less aggressive on the rears compared to the later MK3 megane (normally turned esp off). I only fitted one set of rear pads in the 5 years or so of ownership with quite a few track days. I killed a set in my Megane 250 in one morning at a track day (calipers aren't sticking).

Fronts I would try a mild upgrade like PBS / Mintex M1155 / Performance Friction Z rated. Personally I wouldn't bother with EBC yellow stuff.

I'd also highly recommend tuition as that will see the biggest gains.

I don't think the PS4 tyres are particularly well regarded, but they will be absolutely fine. The main thing is to just go at your own pace and have some fun.

If you get the bug don't mess about buying cheaper pads and head for DS1.11 / carbotech XP10 / PF0x etc with plain brembo HC discs. Tyres, like a lot of things are diminishing returns, but I like Dunlop DZ03G or R888Rs

I don't agree with George as there are a few other mods that are reasonably cheap and very effective like camber adjustable top mounts (best if you have the older large top mount design) and lowering springs.
Offline FramerateUK  
#12 Posted : 09 November 2018 16:59:53(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: MartinClioMK3Sport Go to Quoted Post
Your first trackday?

They get mixed opinions online, I've never used them myself.

I had CL5+ in my old Megane, they were fantastic on the track but squeaky in daily use. I'd get some new pads and match them all around, the Brembo pads would probably do a decent job, maybe even try some DS2500 if you'd like something with a bit more stopping power, but I wouldn't get more serious than that.

Get some fresh fluid in there. I use Halfords Dot5.1 in my Caterham and it's always been very reliable (but then the temps are quite a bit lower than a heavier car). RBF600 is an excellent choice as mentioned (if quite expensive!).
Offline beh  
#13 Posted : 09 November 2018 19:20:46(UTC)
beh

"Are Yellowstuff pads decent?"

I had them on 220T and I would not recommend them. Maybe on 4pot Brembos they will fell different, but in 4RS the feeling they gave were... just bad. Longer pedal travel, unpredictable first bite, sometimes you had to push hard to get to ABS limit, sometimes not etc... They didn't overheat thought, even on hot 35C track day with breaking from 180. It's just like every brake was a bit different which didn't help to build up confidence.
It took 3 track days to get down to 3mm.
I still have 1 new set and I really hope they will work better next time I fit them :)

As for PS4, used them on 2 small tracks, they were perfectly fine if you're not planning to set lap record :)

Edited by user 09 November 2018 19:24:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#14 Posted : 10 November 2018 07:25:59(UTC)
MartinClioMK3Sport

Whats a good site to source the pads amd other performance parts? Im guessing eurocarparts wont do it lol
Offline John_walker74  
#15 Posted : 10 November 2018 07:55:35(UTC)
John_walker74

I tend to use Kam racing and Road Track Race Parts for discs and pads.