Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Brian  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2018 19:00:16(UTC)
Brian

I bought my Twingo GT six months ago and have been highly impressed with it so far even though it is more of a warm hatch than a hot hatch. However, what it does have is sporty looks, lively acceleration, great handling and superb 360-degree visibility. Fuel consumption is an easy 44 mpg obtained in mixed driving.
The Twingo GT is probably ideal for the owner who doesn't use their car for track days and is happy to keep to the UK speed limits as it has all the power you can realistically use in these circumstances, particularly when overtaking. It feels very similar to the hot hatches that I drove back in the 1980s except that there is far more grunt at lower revs.
Even though the model is now discontinued, largely due to negative UK press reviews with the notable exception of Jeremy Clarkson, I would suggest that it is still a good buy for mature drivers who wish to relive their 1980s hot-hatch days or younger drivers who would like to drive something fairly quick with a very low insurance rating.
According to Renault's stock checker, there are still three Twingo GTs available and I would guess that these will be discounted. Also worth bearing in mind is its popularity on the continent as an entry level track racer or rally car.
Offline Richard  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2018 22:03:19(UTC)
Richard

I agree with much with what you say.

I'm also one of the few Twingo GT owners. I never had the chance to have a "hot hatch" in the 1980s and at the time always fancied a 205 GTi/5 GT etc, but it wasn't to be at the time.

My GT is very practical as well as being fun - not quite hitting the MPG figures that you claim, but much of my driving is stop/start etc.

Renault again missed out on getting the advertising and marketing right, in my opinion.
Given its similar family appearance to the 5, and with the "thing for retro" in the car world, perhaps they should have launched it as the "new 5".

But there we are - at least we have exclusivity - and it's a far nicer looking car than the Smart Car!

One thing that is a penny pinching shame though, given its sporty pretension, is the lack of a rev counter.
Oh, and I wish they had offered the EDC automatic version in the UK, as they do on the continent.

That all said, you just have to listen to that engine and exhaust note and you forgive them!
Offline Brian  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2019 19:15:51(UTC)
Brian

Sorry to report that the Twingo is being discontinued in the UK: https://www.autoexpress....-axes-it-from-uk-line-up

I will be holding onto my Twingo GT for as long as possible and will keep paying for an extended warranty year by year until emissions regulations in towns and cities force me to opt for an electric car. My thanks to everyone who has viewed my postings or replied to me about the Twingo GT which I still love driving.
Offline Kirsty172  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2019 20:25:26(UTC)
Kirsty172

not to worry, renault will soon be down to an suv-only car company in the uk. which is what they want to be clearly.
Offline Maccapro  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2019 10:48:22(UTC)
Maccapro

My twingo never had a hot hatch also.

Sent from my Iphone from Cargador Coche Electrico

Edited by user 04 June 2019 10:49:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified