Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rs power  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2018 11:28:02(UTC)
rs power

Offline Kieranidus  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2018 16:10:25(UTC)
Kieranidus

personally i think its down to if you want to be in the 300bhp club, and of you are opted for cup chassis and upgraded wheels alone its worth the very little extra your paying. for me my 280 came to just under 32k so i changed my order to the trophy so it was definitely worth the wait for me.
Offline RSaddict  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2018 16:56:16(UTC)
RSaddict

Originally Posted by: Kieranidus Go to Quoted Post
personally i think its down to if you want to be in the 300bhp club, and of you are opted for cup chassis and upgraded wheels alone its worth the very little extra your paying. for me my 280 came to just under 32k so i changed my order to the trophy so it was definitely worth the wait for me.

#pedantmode. The trophy doesn’t have 300bhp, it has 300 metric horsepower (296bhp)

😀😀😀
Offline Rolo  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2018 13:13:20(UTC)
Rolo

Interesting to note that all the magazine/YouTube reviews of the RS280 said the Cup chassis was too harsh & jittery for road use; but all the Trophy reviews are universally praising the chassis! As far as I'm aware Renault have made no suspension set-up changes between the Cup & the Trophy. I wonder if it's because they reviewed the RS280 as a road car & the Trophy as more of a track weapon?
Offline CraigI  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2018 15:45:14(UTC)
CraigI

Wait until they get it on UK roads, then judge,
Offline Theos  
#6 Posted : 24 November 2018 21:10:59(UTC)
Theos

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post

Nothing to be judged, the one who buys a cup chassis as day to day car is either a total moron or has titanium kidneys and backbone. Or both same time.
Offline Marc_250  
#7 Posted : 24 November 2018 21:43:33(UTC)
Marc_250

Originally Posted by: Theos Go to Quoted Post

Nothing to be judged, the one who buys a cup chassis as day to day car is either a total moron or has titanium kidneys and backbone. Or both same time.

Or they have a different opinion to yourself.
Offline RSaddict  
#8 Posted : 24 November 2018 22:13:21(UTC)
RSaddict

What a ridiculous statement and rather rude. Having driven one I can say it’s so much more we’ll damped than any of my previous Megane or Clio’s with cup chassis.

Maybe I have ‘titanium kidneys’ but I am certainly no moron and the cup chassis will be the first option ticked if I don’t end up getting the trophy.
Offline CraigI  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2018 22:16:30(UTC)
CraigI

Personally I’d never have a RS without it having the Cup chasis. It’s what makes these cars great, with a manual gearbox and Recaro’s being the other most important criteria.

If I was ever to be of the opinion that I didn’t want the Cup Chasis I doubt I’d even get a Renault.
IMO there are better softer hot hatches out there if that’s what you want.

Edited by user 24 November 2018 22:19:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CraigI  
#10 Posted : 24 November 2018 22:38:47(UTC)
CraigI

Top Gear seem to like it.
Link didn’t work.

Edited by user 24 November 2018 22:39:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline vasterad  
#11 Posted : 24 November 2018 23:29:12(UTC)
vasterad

Personally I’d never have a RS without it having the Cup chasis. It’s what makes these cars great, with a manual gearbox and Recaro’s being the other most important criteria.

If I was ever to be of the opinion that I didn’t want the Cup Chasis I doubt I’d even get a Renault.
IMO there are better softer hot hatches out there if that’s what you want.

The only advantage of CUP chassis is torsen LSD which is unfortunately not available with EDC. If you want proper/track-focused suspension go for KW v3 or Bilstein B14/16. Big Smile That's what I did in my previous car - Clio RS EDC (now I've Megane RS 280 EDC). Anyway I prefer a bit firmer suspension so I wouldn't mind of having CUP with EDC.

I'm curious if CUP chassis will include LSD for EDC for RS280 just like it does in Trophy 300.

P.S. I can't believe how sh**ty is engine sound from speakers. So unnatural, I couldn't drive with it more than a week and I end up with middle-box deleted and set engine sound to "comfort" in every driving mode to get rid as much as possible of that fake sound. Now I ordered valve controlled exaust. Cool

Edited by user 24 November 2018 23:41:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Cet5  
#12 Posted : 25 November 2018 23:16:15(UTC)
Cet5

Was pleased to see a repeat of what I thought was a good review of the 280 on Fifth Gear, on channel Quest today. They had it head to head with a Type r and it fared very well. A bit down on power and braking ability but better in the corners. The extra few bhp and the bimetallic brakes and better tyres of the trophy may make just that extra bit of difference. I’m very tempted.

Does anyone think there will be a Trophy R. Also some great comments on an RSR Nurburg video “reminds me of a R26.r on turn in”. Praise indeed!

Offline skny  
#13 Posted : 26 November 2018 08:03:53(UTC)
skny

@Cet5 - Yep, looks like there's the Trophy R coming in the next few months, this white prototype now shown in a video is an Ohlins equipped car with a carbon fibre bonnet and other bits either removed or replaced for lightweight ones, there's a few pictures floating around where its clearly visible - separate tanks for the dampers and the inner skin of the bonnet, also in the video you can clearly see it corners like on a real track setup... impossible to get that far on cup chassis alone...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline Georgeski  
#14 Posted : 26 November 2018 08:47:48(UTC)
Georgeski

Yep, looks as though there will be an R version. I hope so as I would probably wait for that version.
Offline Kieranidus  
#15 Posted : 26 November 2018 09:17:37(UTC)
Kieranidus

all about the trophy for me, as mine will be a daily. 🤙👌
Offline Theos  
#16 Posted : 26 November 2018 09:35:07(UTC)
Theos

Originally Posted by: RSaddict Go to Quoted Post

What a ridiculous statement and rather rude. Having driven one I can say it’s so much more we’ll damped than any of my previous Megane or Clio’s with cup chassis.

Maybe I have ‘titanium kidneys’ but I am certainly no moron and the cup chassis will be the first option ticked if I don’t end up getting the trophy.

Nothing rude here, really. I specifically mentioned "titanium kidneys and backbone" as a valid option for people who really consider this suspension ok as a day to day, or plan to use the car for trackdays etc.

However, if someone doesn't consider this suspension ok for day to day, doesn't plan to do trackdays, yet he is still buying it "just because", I'm afraid that person is a real moron beyond redemption.

Edited by user 26 November 2018 12:00:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CraigI  
#17 Posted : 26 November 2018 17:52:56(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: RSaddict Go to Quoted Post

Nothing rude here, really. I specifically mentioned "titanium kidneys and backbone" as a valid option for people who really consider this suspension ok as a day to day, or plan to use the car for trackdays etc.

However, if someone doesn't consider this suspension ok for day to day, doesn't plan to do trackdays, yet he is still buying it "just because", I'm afraid that person is a real moron beyond redemption.

I like the way you post.
You make it very clear about who could be a real moron.

Edited by user 26 November 2018 17:55:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline F1nk  
#18 Posted : 26 November 2018 18:37:01(UTC)
F1nk

I ended up buying a Focus RS and can say it's way harsher than the Megane 280 I test drove and that had the Cup Chassis which I would have specced had I bought one. I'm quite happy to be a Moron in that case.
Offline slaks  
#19 Posted : 27 November 2018 18:10:48(UTC)
slaks

Trophy R thread due in soon!
Offline rs power  
#20 Posted : 28 November 2018 09:34:45(UTC)
rs power

autoexpress: The Renaultsport Megane Trophy is an even faster real world machine than the Cup chassis-equipped 280, while the upgraded brakes and Bridgestone rubber are welcome additions, too. And with an estimated price of £32,000, it’s likely to cost just £1,000 more than an RS 280 Cup with the bigger wheels and brakes. That said, it doesn’t feel as focused and exciting as previous Trophy models, plus it’s still not as engaging and well-rounded as the Honda Civic Type-R
Offline rs power  
#21 Posted : 28 November 2018 09:36:11(UTC)
rs power

https://www.autoexpress....s-300-trophy-2018-review

Edited by user 28 November 2018 09:36:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mattyw  
#22 Posted : 28 November 2018 12:03:30(UTC)
mattyw

https://www.topgear.com/...s-trophy-5dr/first-drive

Notice the floating discs on the trophy are now slotted ?!
Offline g7egt  
#23 Posted : 28 November 2018 14:09:17(UTC)
g7egt

It will have the ride compliance of castors, my RS280 is rubbish on most road surfaces, on a back to back test, my Cup S is so much more compliant. RS have cocked up the day to day drivability in my humble opinion. I wish I had ordered standard suspension.
Offline FramerateUK  
#24 Posted : 28 November 2018 14:18:47(UTC)
FramerateUK

Have you actually driven one yet Theos? I thought you were still looking to try one? It's a bit rich to be commenting on how it rides before you've driven one.

Edited by user 28 November 2018 14:19:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline racing blue  
#25 Posted : 28 November 2018 14:54:13(UTC)
racing blue

All of these reviews are great but what we actually want is definitive information on price and availability for both the 280 and the Trophy

I ordered my 280 on 14th May and the last I was told is the order book will reopen 1st December with likely delivery February/March - I am not holding my breath.