Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Theos  
#76 Posted : 09 May 2019 06:38:41(UTC)
Giacomo

I think Renault strategy is still working and there is no reason to try to find faults in it, cause there aren't.

If you want a track focused car, get the CUP.

If you want a street car, get the Sport which is more confy.

No, you won't need LSD in a street car. Ever. If you do, something is terribly wrong.
Offline FramerateUK  
#77 Posted : 09 May 2019 08:01:51(UTC)
FramerateUK

I like the look of the estate option!

When I ordered the Megane the only estate hot hatches were the Golf R and Leon Cupra. Both were DSG only.

I'm not moving on from the Megane for a few years yet, but I'm glad to see Ford are sticking with the estate options. I'd love to see a Megane RS estate. We almost got one with the old GT 220, but it wasn't quite there.

But yes, the pricing is bold, but I'm sure the PCP prices will be reasonable, like all Ford ST's, these will sell in droves.
Offline Colm_ire  
#78 Posted : 09 May 2019 09:11:46(UTC)
Colm_ire

Originally Posted by: Theos Go to Quoted Post
I think Renault strategy is still working and there is no reason to try to find faults in it, cause there aren't.

No, you won't need LSD in a street car. Ever. If you do, something is terribly wrong.

"you won't need LSD in a street car"... LOL LOL LOL . If the car has 280hp and is FWD, then yes, you most certainly need an LSD, don't let the marketing fool you.

Unless of course you always drive like miss daisy, which no hot hatch ever does in all honesty, spinning up in the inside wheel on a wet day in what becomes a one wheel drive car is never fun.

Cars with the kind of power that hot hatches make these days need an LSD.
Offline Theos  
#79 Posted : 09 May 2019 13:37:32(UTC)
Giacomo

Originally Posted by: Colm_ire Go to Quoted Post

"you won't need LSD in a street car"... LOL LOL LOL . If the car has 280hp and is FWD, then yes, you most certainly need an LSD, don't let the marketing fool you.

Unless of course you always drive like miss daisy, which no hot hatch ever does in all honesty, spinning up in the inside wheel on a wet day in what becomes a one wheel drive car is never fun.

There are tons of reviews of RS280 by much more experienced guys than you and me, who claim the difference in terms of performance on a track between CUP and sport 280 is at best, marginal. My personal experience with a MK3 RS 250 pushed to over 320 HP was also stellar, and mind you, I really like to push a car to its limits. But since everything in life is relative, if really you can't live without a LSD, maybe you should stop bickering and buy a CUP.

Edited by user 09 May 2019 13:38:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline bobbyboy  
#80 Posted : 09 May 2019 17:06:32(UTC)
bobbyboy

I actually think Ford have messed it up with not offering an automatic box with paddle-shifters as the Megane RS has as an option (which I should say is an absolute must have, after having them in my MeganeGT) but both Ford and Renault I think have both missed the trick. Where are the coloured seat belts, and dont get me started on the seats, look at the Type R, red seats are amazing . the seats in my 2016 GT are way more interesting than the 2019 RS or Focus ST. At least Honda knew the market they were aiming for and my own opinion, Ford bland boring interiors, decent body styling. Renault - remember last years embarrasing 'is it or isnt it available?' that has seriously put me off the RS and having had a Type RGT test drive, OMG the car ticks the boxes - if only it had those paddles-sigh
Offline steering1  
#81 Posted : 09 May 2019 18:06:44(UTC)
steering1

There are tons of reviews of RS280 by much more experienced guys than you and me, who claim the difference in terms of performance on a track between CUP and sport 280 is at best, marginal. My personal experience with a MK3 RS 250 pushed to over 320 HP was also stellar, and mind you, I really like to push a car to its limits. But since everything in life is relative, if really you can't live without a LSD, maybe you should stop bickering and buy a CUP.

A FWD of 300hp without LSD, is like pizza without cheese.

I would have sold my 250 CUP from the first week if it wasn 't for that.
Offline Theos  
#82 Posted : 09 May 2019 18:23:02(UTC)
Giacomo

Originally Posted by: steering1 Go to Quoted Post

A FWD of 300hp without LSD, is like pizza without cheese.

I would have sold my 250 CUP from the first week if it wasn 't for that.

Quite radical.
Offline Penn  
#83 Posted : 09 May 2019 19:36:45(UTC)
Penn

Originally Posted by: bobbyboy Go to Quoted Post
I actually think Ford have messed it up with not offering an automatic box with paddle-shifters as the Megane RS has as an option (which I should say is an absolute must have, after having them in my MeganeGT) but both Ford and Renault I think have both missed the trick. Where are the coloured seat belts, and dont get me started on the seats, look at the Type R, red seats are amazing . the seats in my 2016 GT are way more interesting than the 2019 RS or Focus ST. At least Honda knew the market they were aiming for and my own opinion, Ford bland boring interiors, decent body styling. Renault - remember last years embarrasing 'is it or isnt it available?' that has seriously put me off the RS and having had a Type RGT test drive, OMG the car ticks the boxes - if only it had those paddles-sigh

There is an auto option on the focus ST.
Offline FramerateUK  
#84 Posted : 10 May 2019 08:26:59(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: bobbyboy Go to Quoted Post
Ford bland boring interiors, decent body styling.

At least they've got rid of the shiny black plastic EVERYWHERE this time. After a week of use it was just a huge smudge of fingerprints on the MK3.

I think they've cleaned up the interior quite nicely in this one. No worse or better than the Megane from what I can see. I'm still not a huge fan of the chunky looking seats, but generally it looks like they've done a decent job.
Offline bobbyboy  
#85 Posted : 10 May 2019 12:30:32(UTC)
bobbyboy

There is an auto option on the focus ST.
According to Ford whom I contacted regarding my opinion on the boring interior designs and paddle-shift, there are no plans for the ST with paddle-shift option, yes there is an automatic but if that was the only option I would rather choose full manual than an automatic WITHOUT paddle shifters.
Offline Marc_250  
#86 Posted : 10 May 2019 22:26:34(UTC)
Marc_250

I'm disappointed at the RRP, lots of money for a Ford. If Ford is now as good/'Premium' as the German stuff all well and good but you're paying for it. Give me a cheap/crap interior and a cheaper car...where's the Megane 250 Cup equivalent these days?
Offline Penn  
#87 Posted : 16 May 2019 20:53:54(UTC)
Penn

The estate got launched today, looks superb.
Offline CraigI  
#88 Posted : 16 May 2019 21:41:18(UTC)
CraigI

Definitely an improvement on the hatch, although that wasn’t hard!
Nowhere near looking superb though!
£33k......
Offline FramerateUK  
#89 Posted : 17 May 2019 07:18:02(UTC)
FramerateUK

I really like the look of the estate!

One to look out for once the PCP on the 280 ends (I guess they'll have facelifted it by then too).
Offline ssimon  
#90 Posted : 17 May 2019 12:28:41(UTC)
ssimon

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

I don't get sports estate cars, If you drive enthusiasticly anything in the back has to be well tied down.
Offline FramerateUK  
#91 Posted : 17 May 2019 12:49:28(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: ssimon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

I don't get sports estate cars, If you drive enthusiasticly anything in the back has to be well tied down.

You could say the same for kids in the back of hatchbacks LOL LOL LOL

The whole point of a car like this is that it's an everyday car too. My dog is often in the car with me, and estate would mean he could sit in the boot instead of the back seat.
Offline Colm_ire  
#92 Posted : 23 May 2019 14:00:17(UTC)
Colm_ire

https://www.topgear.com/...bout-new-ford-focus-st#1

No custom mode. Surprising oversight in 2019. So wanting more compliant dampers because the driver can see the state of the bumpy road he is on, then denies him maximum throttle response and exhaust noise. It really is hard to fathom how these decisions are arrived at in this day and age.

On a positive not, suspension compliance is receiving rave reviews.

1508kg. 0-100kph in 5.7sec is very impressive, but it's heavy.
Offline CraigI  
#93 Posted : 23 May 2019 17:44:08(UTC)
CraigI

Roads in Ireland must be awful.
Offline Colm_ire  
#94 Posted : 23 May 2019 18:59:36(UTC)
Colm_ire

Craigl - if you've nothing on topic to say, then i suggest you say nothing at all.
Offline CraigI  
#95 Posted : 24 May 2019 19:04:39(UTC)
CraigI

Craigl - if you've nothing on topic to say, then i suggest you say nothing at all.

Here’s something - the Trophy I have is a little too soft / floaty for me.
But that’s on super flat Scottish roads.
If I don’t gel with it, I’ll be throwing some Ohlins in so I can firm it up a touch.

Edited by user 24 May 2019 19:06:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Kirsty172  
#96 Posted : 24 May 2019 19:21:25(UTC)
Kirsty172

Are Ohlins available? Expensive I guess?
Offline CraigI  
#97 Posted : 24 May 2019 20:59:14(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
Are Ohlins available? Expensive I guess?

They’ll be available soon enough once the spec of the Trophy R is announced.
Yes, they’ll be costly for sure!
Offline Colm_ire  
#98 Posted : 27 May 2019 09:24:20(UTC)
Colm_ire

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post

If I don’t gel with it, I’ll be throwing some Ohlins in so I can firm it up a touch.

That's disappointing. Pity it didn't come with adjustable suspension to allow you set it to your needs.
Offline CraigI  
#99 Posted : 27 May 2019 15:01:58(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post

That's disappointing. Pity it didn't come with adjustable suspension to allow you set it to your needs.

Had magnetic ride in a previous Audi. It was nowhere near hard enough for my liking in any setting.
If that’s what you are hankering after, it wouldn’t help me out any.

Edited by user 27 May 2019 15:03:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Colm_ire  
#100 Posted : 14 June 2019 21:28:16(UTC)
Colm_ire