Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rsslo  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2019 22:00:21(UTC)
rsslo

Does anyone know about rumors of updated version ? And if they are true is there any difference in performance/feel. Because i dont get it that Demo rs 280 edc was slower in drag than 2017 Gti ( not performance) regular 230 hp with dsg and cat-back exhaust.
Offline Theos  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2019 10:15:04(UTC)
Giacomo

Originally Posted by: rsslo Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know about rumors of updated version ? And if they are true is there any difference in performance/feel. Because i dont get it that Demo rs 280 edc was slower in drag than 2017 Gti ( not performance) regular 230 hp with dsg and cat-back exhaust.

L'Argus magazine states that all RS 280s made after summer-autumn, benefit from the ceramic turbo that Trophy has, along with a different engine map. They even say this information was given to them by the chief-engineer of RenaultSport.

The first version of Megane RS280 had a declared power output of 276 HP, the new one has a declared output of 279 HP. And while 3 HP obviously won't make or break the whole deal, the addition of the new ceramic turbo more certainly will. Ceramic turbos are well known to give much better engine responsiveness, due to extremely low friction, some say that such engines are behaving almost like non-turbo ones, with no turbo lag and power delivered extremely linear, till the red zone.

The reason is the much better and powerful air flux into the admission, due to the decrease of turbo friction that, in turn, translates into an increase of rotational speed. As stated by Renault, the new ceramic turbo can almost reach 200.000 rpm, while a regular turbo almost never reaches 150k (for example, the mighty BMW 3l engine turbo can go anywhere between 70 and 130k rpm), so the increase to 200k (or almost) is quite substantial.

Edited by user 19 March 2019 10:16:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline FramerateUK  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2019 11:17:53(UTC)
FramerateUK

Did you demo it when the engine was warm, and what mode was it in?

I drive around in Sport most of the time, I used Perso (which I've set to everything to race, with the exception of having the traction control on) for the first time in a while last weekend and it felt ballistic in comparison.

230HP is no slouch, but you should feel quite a difference (I certainly did from my 220 Trophy). The engine is very linear though, it doesn't have the big boosty feel of the old Megane, but it does carry on pulling in a way the old one couldn't. (But the key is to use Race mode).
Offline MrRS  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2019 14:47:24(UTC)
MrRS

The Golf is a lighter car.

Offline rsslo  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2019 15:04:20(UTC)
rsslo

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post

I drive around in Sport most of the time, I used Perso (which I've set to everything to race, with the exception of having the traction control on) for the first time in a while last weekend and it felt ballistic in comparison.

230HP is no slouch, but you should feel quite a difference (I certainly did from my 220 Trophy). The engine is very linear though, it doesn't have the big boosty feel of the old Megane, but it does carry on pulling in a way the old one couldn't. (But the key is to use Race mode).

We did 50km befor drag so i think that it was warm enough. We used sport mode so maybe it was that. Do you think that EDC is much worse than DSG ?
Offline rsslo  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2019 15:08:46(UTC)
rsslo

Originally Posted by: Theos Go to Quoted Post

L'Argus magazine states that all RS 280s made after summer-autumn, benefit from the ceramic turbo that Trophy has, along with a different engine map. They even say this information was given to them by the chief-engineer of RenaultSport.

The first version of Megane RS280 had a declared power output of 276 HP, the new one has a declared output of 279 HP. And while 3 HP obviously won't make or break the whole deal, the addition of the new ceramic turbo more certainly will. Ceramic turbos are well known to give much better engine responsiveness, due to extremely low friction, some say that such engines are behaving almost like non-turbo ones, with no turbo lag and power delivered extremely linear, till the red zone.

The reason is the much better and powerful air flux into the admission, due to the decrease of turbo friction that, in turn, translates into an increase of rotational speed. As stated by Renault, the new ceramic turbo can almost reach 200.000 rpm, while a regular turbo almost never reaches 150k (for example, the mighty BMW 3l engine turbo can go anywhere between 70 and 130k rpm), so the increase to 200k (or almost) is quite substantial.

Thank you for nice post. Im very glad i could not order megane in december so i ordered last month. So cant wait to get my 280 RS Cup :D in summer
Offline FramerateUK  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2019 16:57:12(UTC)
FramerateUK

We did 50km befor drag so i think that it was warm enough. We used sport mode so maybe it was that. Do you think that EDC is much worse than DSG ?

Race mode makes a big difference.

No idea in regards to EDC/DSG. I have a manual.
Offline vasterad  
#8 Posted : 20 March 2019 10:56:42(UTC)
vasterad

Ceramic turbos are well known to give much better engine responsiveness, due to extremely low friction, some say that such engines are behaving almost like non-turbo ones, with no turbo lag and power delivered extremely linear, till the red zone.

I doubt it will make any diffrence. They used ceramic bearings is due to the fact that cars made after summer-autumn have GPF filter which is restrictive on gases flow.

It's twin scroll turbo so it's quite responsive with no lag anyway.

Edited by user 20 March 2019 10:58:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Treagyjet  
#9 Posted : 20 March 2019 16:47:35(UTC)
Treagyjet

In Perso, can you set everything to “race” but set the rear wheel steering to crossover at 37mph? I can see you had everything in race apart from traction control switched on. Just wondered if you can change the steering too
Thanks Framerate.
Offline FramerateUK  
#10 Posted : 21 March 2019 15:09:45(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: Treagyjet Go to Quoted Post

In Perso, can you set everything to “race” but set the rear wheel steering to crossover at 37mph? I can see you had everything in race apart from traction control switched on. Just wondered if you can change the steering too
Thanks Framerate.

I think the rear wheel steering comes on when the Dynamic Driving System setting is set to Race. You can still keep the ESC on any setting you want. I have mine set to sport.

I've taken a shot here (if you can see past the dog hair, he's moulting at the moment LOL )

https://photos.google.co...cDVwUlg4NDJ2S2NKcnhlT2h3

Below that screen is the engine note option too. I didn't mind it when I first got the car, but it soon started to annoy me. I've turned the piped engine note to 'Neutral', and I don't notice it at all anymore. I found 'Sport' too intrusive (and fake sounding!).

Edited by user 21 March 2019 15:16:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Theos  
#11 Posted : 21 March 2019 20:42:21(UTC)
Giacomo

Can you keep ESC on Race ?
Offline FramerateUK  
#12 Posted : 21 March 2019 22:10:38(UTC)
FramerateUK

Like I said, you can set up the whole car however you want in Perso.

The Car has several modes:

Comfort
Neutral
Sport
Race
Perso

Within these (With the exception of Perso), most options are greyed out, and you can only chance engine note, dash colour and dial type.

When you configure Perso mode, you can make your own personal tune set up however you wish (see the photo I posted).
Mine is configured to be exactly the same as Race, with the exception of having the ESC turned on. You can have any combination you want.
Offline Theos  
#13 Posted : 22 March 2019 08:16:22(UTC)
Giacomo

Like I said, you can set up the whole car however you want in Perso.

The Car has several modes:

Comfort
Neutral
Sport
Race
Perso

Within these (With the exception of Perso), most options are greyed out, and you can only chance engine note, dash colour and dial type.

When you configure Perso mode, you can make your own personal tune set up however you wish (see the photo I posted).
Mine is configured to be exactly the same as Race, with the exception of having the ESC turned on. You can have any combination you want.

Thank you, can you please tell us the options that are not greyed out in Sport and Race ? I mean, the ones that can be changed.
Offline vasterad  
#14 Posted : 22 March 2019 10:47:18(UTC)
vasterad

Thank you, can you please tell us the options that are not greyed out in Sport and Race ? I mean, the ones that can be changed.

Offline rjohn1  
#15 Posted : 07 April 2019 18:25:24(UTC)
rjohn1

The original brochure I have for the Megane RS states the max torque is 390 Nm at 2400 rpm, which is also shown on the global renaultsport website (https://www.renaultsport.com/-moteur-1-8l-mr18-.html). The latest brochure states the max torque is 390 Nm at 3200 rpm, which is the same rpm as that of the 300 BHP Trophy variant (also shown at the link given). Does anyone know if the new modification creates a step in the torque curve of the new 280 engine like that of the Trophy?
Offline Theos  
#16 Posted : 07 April 2019 18:55:17(UTC)
Giacomo

Originally Posted by: rjohn1 Go to Quoted Post
The original brochure I have for the Megane RS states the max torque is 390 Nm at 2400 rpm, which is also shown on the global renaultsport website (https://www.renaultsport.com/-moteur-1-8l-mr18-.html). The latest brochure states the max torque is 390 Nm at 3200 rpm, which is the same rpm as that of the 300 BHP Trophy variant (also shown at the link given). Does anyone know if the new modification creates a step in the torque curve of the new 280 engine like that of the Trophy?

This is very good news. Normal aspirated engines (non turbos) have the max torque at higher rpm than turbo engines. The new RS 280 has the same ceramic bearing turbo as the RS 300 Trophy, and because of this (lower friction and really high rotation speed), it makes the engine to behave different than the old version.

I am 100% confident that both torque curve and power curve behave totally different than the old version, as in maximum torque and power achieved at higher rpm.