Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Georgeski  
#1 Posted : 26 March 2019 15:19:54(UTC)
Georgeski

Offline JimBob07  
#2 Posted : 26 March 2019 15:31:54(UTC)
JimBob07

This looks awesome, think i will hold on before trading in my 250.
Offline skny  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2019 16:37:58(UTC)
skny

Looking super expensive.... carbon revolution wheels ? ceramic brakes ?
Offline Marc_250  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2019 23:31:40(UTC)
Marc_250

Surely it's not going to have carbon wheels? Be worth more than the rest of the car wouldn't they? If it ends up with a 50/60 grand price tag and the classic stripped out ./R interior etc it's going need to be doing some mega laptimes...Prolly end up with like 5 cars in the UK including the RUK one.
Offline MrRS  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2019 13:35:02(UTC)
MrRS

Great to see Renault doing something special. I just hope it comes to market and gives the RS brand a lift.
Offline MrRS  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2019 13:44:21(UTC)
MrRS

Originally Posted by: Marc_250 Go to Quoted Post
Surely it's not going to have carbon wheels? Be worth more than the rest of the car wouldn't they? If it ends up with a 50/60 grand price tag and the classic stripped out ./R interior etc it's going need to be doing some mega laptimes...Prolly end up with like 5 cars in the UK including the RUK one.

You’re right and the ‘R’ models were never great sellers, so if it gets pushed further into BMW, Porsche and Merc price territory they will suffer. However, if some of the special ‘R’ bits filter down to the 280 as options then all the better.

The old Megane Mk2 and Mk3 used to be class leaders and even with the base models you always had something special, while the Mk4 280 is average at best, so Renault needs to put a bit of effort into bringing it back to class competitive as well as just pumping out a limited edition but capable ‘R’ version.

Offline skny  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2019 06:17:27(UTC)
skny

well not sure about the wheels, but they do look very much like the carbon ones, as for the brakes, the fronts look carbon ceramic for sure... Actually think its a great idea in a pretty light but track focused car, wonder if they'll add it to the option list for the ordinary trophy.

One thing I also noticed from the pictures, the rear wheels dont seem to turn... take any in turn picture of a standard megane rs and you always see the rear wheels steer... even the picture at the roundabout shows rear wheels go straight....

a 4control delete option coming up ?
Offline CraigI  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2019 07:19:11(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: skny Go to Quoted Post
well not sure about the wheels, but they do look very much like the carbon ones, as for the brakes, the fronts look carbon ceramic for sure... Actually think its a great idea in a pretty light but track focused car, wonder if they'll add it to the option list for the ordinary trophy.

One thing I also noticed from the pictures, the rear wheels dont seem to turn... take any in turn picture of a standard megane rs and you always see the rear wheels steer... even the picture at the roundabout shows rear wheels go straight....

Certainly sounds like the only way Renault will appease the reviewers.
From the test drive I had it felt different, but in a good, progressive way.
Will see how I gel when my Trophy arrives.
Offline trisha98  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2019 11:37:09(UTC)
trisha98

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: skny Go to Quoted Post

Certainly sounds like the only way Renault will appease the reviewers.
From the test drive I had it felt different, but in a good, progressive way.
Will see how I gel when my Trophy arrives.

Since the test machine has a bulge on the hood, as well as an abundance of plastic decor (or just paint) on the sides, we can imagine that the design will be further developed. But the bottom of the rear of the body is camouflaged dark, so that the features of the diffuser and the exhaust system are not visible. This suggests something new. The car has black 9-spoke wheels, behind which silver brake calipers are visible from the front, and ha-ha red ones from behind. In the network there is an opinion that Renault uses custom details. There is also information that the Trophy-R will be easier (the rejection of the rear seats, as well as fog lamps and parts of equipment in the cabin).
With the new Renault Megane RS Trophy-R in the Renault Sport are going to compete with the Honda Civic Type R for the record "Nordschleife" among front-wheel drive models may be. Japanese hatchback is the owner of the fastest lap 7:43.8 and it's a reality.
Offline Gerryb92  
#10 Posted : 06 April 2019 15:46:31(UTC)
Gerryb92

Covers off! Some idea of the spec with the partner logos on the side. Must have easily lapped quicker than the CTR.

Offline Theos  
#11 Posted : 06 April 2019 18:52:55(UTC)
Giacomo

I think it's possible that the CTR record is already smashed. If Renault decided to go Nurburgring with the Trophy R, loaded with cameras and stuff, most probably they know something we don't. Everything appears quite flashy, so it has to be something that soon will go public, and this can't be just "hey, we have a new version of RS".

This time, it's big. My 2 cents.

Edited by user 06 April 2019 21:29:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline sunnylunn  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2019 07:59:58(UTC)
sunnylunn

shows how goos a CTR is that Renault have to make an R to better its time, just hope its not too expensive, I feel it'll be late 30s which puts it close to some great cars price wise.
Offline CraigI  
#13 Posted : 07 April 2019 08:35:42(UTC)
CraigI

It’s funny how the Trophy times haven’t been announced.
I’ve only seen one Trophy v Civic Type R track test so far and the Trophy was quicker.
Not that I really care, it’s just a mass marketing ploy / bragging right, and in any case the Type R wasn’t even a consideration for me.

Edited by user 07 April 2019 08:36:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gerryb92  
#14 Posted : 07 April 2019 09:09:36(UTC)
Gerryb92

Sunnylunn, as far as I’m aware the CTR that set the record may not have been a purchasable spec... ie maybe it had two seats and half roll cage instead?

Also reckon the price may start with a 4. I think high 30s makes it too close to the normal trophy, and I think I remember some of the 275Trophy cars pushing high 30s?
Offline FramerateUK  
#15 Posted : 07 April 2019 11:22:08(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
It’s funny how the Trophy times haven’t been announced.
I’ve only seen one Trophy v Civic Type R track test so far and the Trophy was quicker.
Not that I really care, it’s just a mass marketing ploy / bragging right, and in any case the Type R wasn’t even a consideration for me.

They tend not to bother with the 'normal' cars in the range (which lets face it, the Trophy is now).

No times published for the 250, but the limited numbers Trophy 265 beat the record. The next times we got were the the 275 Trophy-R.

The ring has changed quite a bit since the 275 Trophy R did its run. So it'll be interesting to see how fast it goes.
Offline Kirsty172  
#16 Posted : 07 April 2019 12:42:37(UTC)
Kirsty172

Yawn. Apart from about 4 people does anyone care about this in the uk?

And 42k for a 5 door hatch with 2 seats? Pointless.

Should have made the Trophy perform best in class at an attractive price and not waste development budget on this.
Offline MrRS  
#17 Posted : 07 April 2019 12:54:25(UTC)
MrRS

Originally Posted by: sunnylunn Go to Quoted Post
shows how goos a CTR is that Renault have to make an R to better its time, just hope its not too expensive, I feel it'll be late 30s which puts it close to some great cars price wise.

Late 30s will be a bit difficult if they sell it with those lightweight Carbon Revolution wheels which are about £10,000 for a set of four!

Offline f.a.t  
#18 Posted : 07 April 2019 13:16:28(UTC)
f.a.t

Looks like Bridgestone, Akrapovic, Sabelt, Ohlins and maybe Allevard + others were involved. This is really intriguing. Cant wait to see time it set and final spec. The engineering Renault put into the R is second to none. £42k is probably about right given the likely spec.
Offline Marc_250  
#19 Posted : 07 April 2019 17:00:07(UTC)
Marc_250

I'm sure the carbon wheels will be an option but I'm guessing fully loaded this could be well into the 50s, 275-R RRP fully loaded was 40 odd so a 10k set of wheels and carbon bonnet? etc.....

Be interesting car nevertheless but not really comparable with the normal hot hatches like CTR but that's no reason to bemoan its existence!
Offline Kirsty172  
#20 Posted : 07 April 2019 18:47:29(UTC)
Kirsty172

I'm sure the carbon wheels will be an option but I'm guessing fully loaded this could be well into the 50s, 275-R RRP fully loaded was 40 odd so a 10k set of wheels and carbon bonnet? etc.....

Be interesting car nevertheless but not really comparable with the normal hot hatches like CTR but that's no reason to bemoan its existence!

fair comment, bemoan is certainly too strong a feeling on this car, it's not that important. all the same, i do think a car configured like this is completely irrelevant. the coupe version was maybe a LITTLE more plausible, even though that too did still only have 2 seats, but i do agree with one of the other comments that irrespective of even though this configuration is pointless, the fact that renault seem to have to go to this level to beat the CTR means that car was right up there, and is possibly more impressive given that it's breadth of operation is so much wider than this R. it probably also indicates that we're now at the minimum times car in this bracket can go - hence the very extreme measures needed on this R to beat the CTR.
Offline Theos  
#21 Posted : 07 April 2019 19:04:09(UTC)
Giacomo

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
it probably also indicates that we're now at the minimum times car in this bracket can go - hence the very extreme measures needed on this R to beat the CTR.

This. Extreme situations require extreme measures.

Edited by user 07 April 2019 19:04:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline f.a.t  
#22 Posted : 08 April 2019 07:22:32(UTC)
f.a.t

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post

fair comment, bemoan is certainly too strong a feeling on this car, it's not that important. all the same, i do think a car configured like this is completely irrelevant. the coupe version was maybe a LITTLE more plausible, even though that too did still only have 2 seats, but i do agree with one of the other comments that irrespective of even though this configuration is pointless, the fact that renault seem to have to go to this level to beat the CTR means that car was right up there, and is possibly more impressive given that it's breadth of operation is so much wider than this R. it probably also indicates that we're now at the minimum times car in this bracket can go - hence the very extreme measures needed on this R to beat the CTR.

I think we have forgotten that VW and Honda had to increase power to 35 to 45 bhp to beat the Renault. The next set of hot hatches are likely to be hybrids next time round and much heavier. Renault are just sticking to their formula of light weight and engineering.
Offline sunnylunn  
#23 Posted : 08 April 2019 09:01:14(UTC)
sunnylunn

Its great that Renault are still willing to build these R versions, its just a shame the amount of money they cost. There's no doubting the CTR is a great car, I just couldn't live with how it looks, I'd take a Megane Trophy every time, Renault have nailed how a hot hatch should look for me.
Offline skny  
#24 Posted : 09 April 2019 17:03:12(UTC)
skny

UserPostedImage