Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Unreal1066  
#1 Posted : 20 April 2019 11:56:38(UTC)
Unreal1066

It is Sunday evening on the A272 from Winchester towards west Sussex on a dry, cool evening in early March and I am driving my fairly new renaultsport Clio RS 2015. It was this drive where i finally found out about the car, it became truly enjoyable.
Since then I have worked out it is most satisfying to put the gearbox into manual when on a nice road. Leave it in auto when in town for ease. What is good is you can use the paddles anytime in your drive whether in manual or auto. It will also change down when coming to a junction in manual mode. The gear lever in manual can also be used to change up or down. Pull back to go higher and away from you to change down. Luckily that beep telling you to change change up either isn't there or isn't intrusive when driving the car hard, I don't notice it.
I feel that Renault could of gone down the route of fitting the car out with something flashy like Brembo brakes or other branded products, but they spent development money investing in a duel clutch gearbox to make it viable on a hot hatch.
Coming from a Manual Civic Type R 2008 the gearbox was something that could made the car a disastrous buy. But there were other reasons why it wasn't a dealbreaker, it promised to be a less expensive to fuel and run with economy, car tax and being newer. I also needed the back seats and boot room. It also was a bit of a bargain at about £11.000 from about 20 grand new in 2015. 200 BHP for £11.000! The Fiesta RS has kept it's value better so was more than I wanted to spend.
I feel it is a good thing to have this gearbox but, it did take about a month and a half to get used to.