Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rs power  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2019 13:42:21(UTC)
rs power

Offline gustavb  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2019 13:55:04(UTC)
gustavb

yeah, 7"40"10 is a great time. however, the costs will be massive if opted for the full carbon pack (wheels+brakes) - heard just the pack is over 20k eur
Offline Georgeski  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2019 15:30:14(UTC)
Georgeski

Offline Fredp123  
#4 Posted : 21 May 2019 16:13:34(UTC)
Fredp123

That's 14 sec faster than the 275R, isn't it? Over 0.7s quicker per km
Offline Kirsty172  
#5 Posted : 21 May 2019 17:12:50(UTC)
Kirsty172

Take everything in a road car out, include an optional 20k carbon pack and its 4 seconds quicker than a Civic. Who'd have thought.
Offline JMT  
#6 Posted : 21 May 2019 17:13:37(UTC)
JMT

Might be time for another renault I think
Offline CraigI  
#7 Posted : 21 May 2019 17:23:19(UTC)
CraigI

Originally Posted by: Kirsty172 Go to Quoted Post
Take everything in a road car out, include an optional 20k carbon pack and its 4 seconds quicker than a Civic. Who'd have thought.

4 seconds quicker than a Civic that you can’t buy.

Does anyone really care about this “battle”?
It’s marketing fluff.
Offline Rolo  
#8 Posted : 21 May 2019 17:56:37(UTC)
Rolo

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post

It’s marketing fluff.

It's just going to be a £50k "Halo" car sold in tiny numbers. Pub bragging rights. All irrelevant in 3 years when we're all restricted to 70 mph!!
Offline Georgeski  
#9 Posted : 21 May 2019 19:51:11(UTC)
Georgeski

It’s marketing fluff.

Personally I don't think it's marketing fluff, as the ring is a real test of (close to real world) ability. Undulating surfaces, off camber changes etc - a car that does well there will do well on the dreadful roads of the UK. If you look at cars that have done a similar time e.g. Bugatti Veyron, 997 GT3 RS and Turbo, its quite staggering that a 1.8l hot hatch can match

Edited by user 21 May 2019 19:58:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Breadvan Matt  
#10 Posted : 21 May 2019 22:31:41(UTC)
Breadvan Matt

Whether you believe the Ring record is marketing BS or not, you have to respect the engineering efforts required to make a FWD hatchback go around in this time. Amazing stuff really.
And that driver has some b***s of steel.
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#11 Posted : 22 May 2019 04:43:16(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Originally Posted by: Georgeski Go to Quoted Post

It’s marketing fluff.

Personally I don't think it's marketing fluff, as the ring is a real test of (close to real world) ability. Undulating surfaces, off camber changes etc - a car that does well there will do well on the dreadful roads of the UK. If you look at cars that have done a similar time e.g. Bugatti Veyron, 997 GT3 RS and Turbo, its quite staggering that a 1.8l hot hatch can match

Fully agree with that
Offline Gaz5282  
#12 Posted : 22 May 2019 06:48:28(UTC)
Gaz5282

From what I know the civic wasn't a standard car, was stripped out at very least.
Offline Georgeski  
#13 Posted : 22 May 2019 07:36:56(UTC)
Georgeski

I think the Trophy R is going to be pretty bare inside to be fair
Offline Theos  
#14 Posted : 22 May 2019 08:18:13(UTC)
Giacomo

People usually tend to think that a 3.7 seconds difference is not something huge. Thing is, faster lap times are defined by 3 variables:

- greater power
- lower weight
- lesser air resistance

We should never forget these 3 variables are not something engineers freely get from some drawer, so the faster the lap time, the hardest this job is.

Therefore, the 3.7 second difference from the 7:43 CTR time, is much bigger than the same difference between 2 slower competitors in the 7:50 bracket. So no, imho it won't be easy for Honda to beat this.

Edited by user 23 May 2019 11:22:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline MrRS  
#15 Posted : 22 May 2019 09:40:10(UTC)
MrRS

Nice work Renault! But boy have they had to throw lots of £££ at it. The Renault R has now become a bespoke and very expensive statement for just a few seconds on the Ring. I suspect Honda will grab the record back with a cheaper, more affordable and everyday usable solution anyway.
Offline f.a.t  
#16 Posted : 22 May 2019 10:10:02(UTC)
f.a.t

The Renault Trophy R in all versions has been a bespoke car. The level of detail has allways been very high. When I think about a similar level of spec I tend to think of a much more expensive car or the old group N tarmac specials. I think Renault have carved out their own market. There are no other hot hatches with this level of spec. I know there are a number of individuals who revel in the details of their cars. I know of someone who spent £23000 on suspension for an Lancia Integrale, because he wanted to know, that his car had a level of detail similar to a full works Rally car. For people like this a Trophy R will be a viseral weapon of choice, that only Renault will make.
Offline vimto  
#17 Posted : 22 May 2019 14:32:52(UTC)
vimto

Originally Posted by: MrRS Go to Quoted Post
Nice work Renault! But boy have they had to throw lots of £££ at it. The Renault R has now become a bespoke and very expensive statement for just a few seconds on the Ring. I suspect Honda will grab the record back with a cheaper, more affordable and everyday usable solution anyway.

Except Honda cheated just like VW Did. Both fitted a roll cage ( for safety purposes) then removed rear seats,air con and stereo ect to offset the weight. Honda masked what tyres it was wearing, supposedly blanking out any manufacture on pictures. Honda is a great car, Just cant buy a version of the one that set the record.
Offline MrRS  
#18 Posted : 22 May 2019 16:36:57(UTC)
MrRS

Originally Posted by: vimto Go to Quoted Post

Except Honda cheated just like VW Did. Both fitted a roll cage ( for safety purposes) then removed rear seats,air con and stereo ect to offset the weight. Honda masked what tyres it was wearing, supposedly blanking out any manufacture on pictures. Honda is a great car, Just cant buy a version of the one that set the record.

Nobody here really knows though what’s going on in the background with these cars that are specially prepared for the record runs. Some weight offset from Honda for the roll cage was fair enough but they should have declared the tyres. Honda will want the record back and they are tweaking and testing the new revised Type R and they only have to get another 3 seconds out of it on an already faster 2019 Ring. I like what Renault has achieved and it keeps the game alive, but Honda are doing it in a much cheaper and everyday useable hot hatch which is really impressive.

Offline Buffalo Girls  
#19 Posted : 22 May 2019 18:08:45(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Nobody here really knows though what’s going on in the background with these cars that are specially prepared for the record runs. Some weight offset from Honda for the roll cage was fair enough but they should have declared the tyres. Honda will want the record back and they are tweaking and testing the new revised Type R and they only have to get another 3 seconds out of it on an already faster 2019 Ring. I like what Renault has achieved and it keeps the game alive, but Honda are doing it in a much cheaper and everyday useable hot hatch which is really impressive.

I look forward to Honda beating that with a cheaper, everyday car that you can buy
Offline Buffalo Girls  
#20 Posted : 22 May 2019 18:09:53(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

Originally Posted by: Buffalo Girls Go to Quoted Post

I look forward to Honda beating that with a cheaper, everyday car that you can buy

Forgot to add that I completely doubt it’ll happen
Offline CraigI  
#21 Posted : 22 May 2019 18:37:59(UTC)
CraigI

No Honda aren’t.

Edited by user 22 May 2019 18:38:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Buffalo Girls  
#22 Posted : 22 May 2019 19:44:31(UTC)
Buffalo Girls

No Honda aren’t.

Quite. I think that they’re more focussed on closing their Europe plant in Swindon and saving money.
Offline Marc_250  
#23 Posted : 22 May 2019 22:10:05(UTC)
Marc_250

I could really fancy one of these I imagine they'll be a proper driving machine, something that really engages you I bet.

As for Honda if they do beat this time (given how close it is I presume telling the driver to "go faster" would achieve this) I'm sure Renault will be back again with a face lift of the same car with the normal Megane life cycle power increase.
Offline baigent  
#24 Posted : 23 May 2019 15:01:12(UTC)
baigent

They haven't thrown any money at it.

Other than the carbon bonnet they've chosen off-the-shelf components from 3rd party manufacturers to save their own development costs.

Aside from testing, track time and set up of the car, the cost of the components will be passed on to the end user.

Quite smart really.

Offline Kirsty172  
#25 Posted : 23 May 2019 20:08:38(UTC)
Kirsty172

They have thrown money at it, in the practical aspect that it's going to cost you 50k to own the same spec car that is the record setter. Any idea how much CF wheels cost...?

Perhaps Honda will beat it with some better tyres...