Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wilkerpa76  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2019 13:44:42(UTC)
wilkerpa76

So I have the opportunity to beat the waiting list and pick up a RS 280 Cup in Manual. I've had manual cars all my life, but have recently drove the EDC version and was really impressed. So now do I wait and order one.

So how many people on here have gone for the EDC vs Manual? And are there any benefits to a manual over EDC?

Also, the car doesn't have the Recaro seats, which is not a deal breaker, but wondered if you can fit the interior later on, and is it rare that this will be available for me to buy?

Thanks!
Offline Kit  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2019 19:16:19(UTC)
Kit

It's probably down to preference, given a straight choice I'd go for the edc but not for £1,800 or whatever the price difference is. I've got a manual and find it a decent gearbox so far having previously had the edc on a clio 220 trophy.

Recaro seats I think are only available as an option on a trophy although I may be mistaken. I can't imagine they will be cheap if they are available to buy in the future.

I have a trophy and switched my order to the one I have when I went to amend my order a couple of weeks after placing it and there was one in transit from the factory that was a close spec to what I wanted. This was in late May and I picked the car up mid june. I think cars do become available but it'll be a bit hit and miss if spec, colour etc. match what you are after, from comments on various forums these cars definitely come up and there were some other options available when I was ordering mine. It might be worth placing an order but leaving feelers out it anything else turns up in the meantime.
Offline Rolo  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2019 19:26:31(UTC)
Rolo

I have a manual RS280 & personally prefer the involvement of a manual. Before the trolls start kicking off that is just my personal preference!!
The Recaros are available on the RS280, I think they're an extra £200 on top of the £1300 for the Alcantara interior. I've tried both & have the standard Alcantara seats in mine & find they grip better across the shoulders. Again, just my personal preference!!
The salesman at my RS dealer has a Trophy & says he prefers the standard seats for the extra grip & the base has more padding, but I suppose it all depends how much "natural" padding you have!
Must admit, the Recaros do look better though!
Offline CraigI  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2019 21:43:58(UTC)
CraigI

The manual gearbox is fine, with one notable exception - third is a pig to change into quickly, you almost need to go at it in a three stage change sometimes (out of second, line up third, into third).
That said I’d not swap it for the EDC.
And I’d not have one without Recaro’s either.

Just personal preference though.
Offline FramerateUK  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2019 08:55:53(UTC)
FramerateUK

I had the EDC box in the Clio and now have a manual 280 Cup.

The EDC is not a bad box by any means (and I gather it's a different unit in the Megane), but there are occasions where it makes odd gear choices, gets a little confused or hangs onto gears too long. I've not driven another Dual Clutch box so I can't say if that's common or just a quirk of the EDC in the Clio. I thought it was fantastic when I was doing lots of motorway miles but got frustrated with it when I changed jobs and had a short journey with back roads. It's not terrible by any means, but when it goes wrong you're left thinking you can do a better job yourself (and yes, you can use the paddles but that sort of defeats the point).

I love having the manual in the 280 even though I'm back to the motorway miles now. I think I'd be more likely to go electric than back to an auto gearbox. That said, I was in a friend's Merc (C Class I think?) recently which has a traditional auto and it was incredibly smooth.
Offline wilkerpa76  
#6 Posted : 10 September 2019 15:15:10(UTC)
wilkerpa76

Thanks for all your replies and information.

Originally Posted by: Kit Go to Quoted Post

I have a trophy and switched my order to the one I have when I went to amend my order a couple of weeks after placing it and there was one in transit from the factory that was a close spec to what I wanted.

I didn't realise you could do that, I thought once you'd ordered your car that was the one you where having, so thats good to know.

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
The manual gearbox is fine, with one notable exception - third is a pig to change into quickly, you almost need to go at it in a three stage change sometimes (out of second, line up third, into third).

I wonder if that will get better over time, how long have you owned the car?

Originally Posted by: FramerateUK Go to Quoted Post
I had the EDC box in the Clio and now have a manual 280 Cup.

The EDC is not a bad box by any means (and I gather it's a different unit in the Megane), but there are occasions where it makes odd gear choices, gets a little confused or hangs onto gears too long. I've not driven another Dual Clutch box so I can't say if that's common or just a quirk of the EDC in the Clio. I thought it was fantastic when I was doing lots of motorway miles but got frustrated with it when I changed jobs and had a short journey with back roads. It's not terrible by any means, but when it goes wrong you're left thinking you can do a better job yourself (and yes, you can use the paddles but that sort of defeats the point).

I love having the manual in the 280 even though I'm back to the motorway miles now. I think I'd be more likely to go electric than back to an auto gearbox. That said, I was in a friend's Merc (C Class I think?) recently which has a traditional auto and it was incredibly smooth.

Thanks, thats good to know. I liked the EDC for town/city driving, but can imagine it can get frustrating if it decides to change gear when you don't want it to when your'e driving on back roads, which I also do.
Offline CraigI  
#7 Posted : 10 September 2019 21:59:05(UTC)
CraigI

I’ve had the car 4.5 months and done just over 3000 miles.
Might loosen up I guess.
Offline foxspeed  
#8 Posted : 11 September 2019 17:07:27(UTC)
foxspeed

the megane edc box is excellent it doesnt get confused or ever in the wrong gear as good as pdk

you also get a more torquey engine with edc and so far no noticeable lag - win-win!

only criticism is the paddles could be slightly longer and closer to the wheel but only an issue if you have hands like a tart LOL