Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Scott.T  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2019 12:08:14(UTC)
Scott.T

Hi guys,
New to forum as I'm potentially about to pull the trigger on purchase of a used RS280 Cup.
I was after some honest opinions on the ride quality bearing in mind the drive modes do not alter the dampers.

I would be interested to know what you have owned before and how you draw your conclusion.

I had many Ford RS products in the 80/90's, Impreza and STi since 2001 and a few Cupra and Audi products in latter years. So I have had and used as daily transport hard riding cars.

I used an impress as a daily upto 2013, which still have now as my garage queen.

I thought I knew what hard felt like, with my ownership history until I purchased a Mk3 Focus RS.
Combined with the slightly harder shell recaro seats the ride in this was switchable between hard and bloody hard (or broken as some passengers called it).

I therefore don't want to make the same mistake on the Renault RS purchase.

I have driven the car and it didn't feel quite as hard as the focus. But you never get to drive your normal roads/routes so it's difficult to make a confident judgement.

Hence my shout out to see what you think.
Do the dual dampers make it more daily compliant.

The focus was too hard as a daily and would also try to pogo you into a ditch on a briskly driven A/B road. Grip however was epic...you pays the price though.
Offline FramerateUK  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2019 12:38:24(UTC)
FramerateUK

It's not a soft car.

I find the ride a bit hard, it's definitely more compliant than my Clio 220T was. It's hard to say if it's any worse than my old Megane 250 as it's been so long since I've been in one.

My dad has the last model STI and I'd say it's pretty similar to that. I think it tramlines a little worse than my 250 with 18" wheels, but I would expect that's more due to the wider and larger wheels. (245 19 vs 235 18).

There are no multi mode dampers, though I think the hydraulic bump stops do show their worth when you're hammering down a b-road, but you can't notice them during normal driving.

I would say the ride is the thing I like least about the car, but in all honestly, it's pretty much what I expected. I don't think it's as bad as the magazines made out though.
Offline NickRS  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2019 15:51:53(UTC)
NickRS

Mine feels a little less harsh than what I was expecting. Slightly less hatch than a Cup S. I had a A4 S line in the interim and that wasn't particularly better.

I would strongly urge the OP to consider 18' wheels. I don't know by how much they help but combined with the hydro bump stops, they could be a factor.

The other factor that may artificially help perception is the overall NVH of the car which are surprisingly good.

It’s not a harsh riding car, particularly when loaded laterally. I suspect it will feel more comfy than the Ford, albeit not by much.
Offline Scott.T  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2019 20:13:33(UTC)
Scott.T

Thanks for the reply guys.
I don't think the shell recaro seats helped in the Focus RS as I think the standard recaro are a bit more compliant.

The Alcantara sport seats in the Cup do feel better than the Recaro CS I has in the Ford. And they ratchet down very low.

Cars do seem to of naturally got harder over time, but alot of that is down to trying to improve economy running 42psi pressures or even run flats.
Offline CraigI  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2019 22:20:18(UTC)
CraigI

It’s a little too soft for my liking.
Had a Cup-S before this and a 250 Cup (amongst numerous other Renaultsport’s), and my Trophy is more easy to live with as a day to day, all-round prospect, but in achieving that, probably caused by the bump stops, it feels a little less rigid than I like when I’m giving it some. As such, I’m coming round to the fact that it’s not quite as exhilarating as my Cup-S was, but that’s slightly off topic, and probably for another day.
Rides fine on 19’s.

I’ve also got a Smart Roadster Brabus and it makes the Megane feel very soft in comparison.

Edited by user 31 October 2019 22:21:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Scott.T  
#6 Posted : 01 November 2019 15:14:04(UTC)
Scott.T

Well, deal done and just drove 50 miles home.
Pretty happy so far and ride is firm but not as firm as the Focus RS. You still jiggle a bit at speed on some stretches of motorway but different bits of you are moving. It's not so belly wobbling as the Focus.

A quick b road blast on the final test drive (which was difficult to find in the Orpington area), on a road I've driven a few time in my Subaru highlighted that the Megane doesn't pogo like the RS. That was the deal clencher.

Quite like the drive modes as they are quite different. Drove home mainly in Comfort with a few blasts in Sport. Final stretch after refuelling was in the default Neutral mode which felt like a good town/all round setting.

Needs a good clean though and a slight bonnet alignment tweak due to bonnet recall being done Thursday and its obviously been off (looking at fixings).
Offline Rolo  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2019 16:10:48(UTC)
Rolo

Once you've worked out all the settings you prefer & put them in the Perso mode, you'll probably just use Perso all the time. Thought I would use all the modes, but I just drive everywhere in my Perso mode now!
Offline ray ban  
#8 Posted : 01 November 2019 16:36:00(UTC)
ray ban

Originally Posted by: Scott.T Go to Quoted Post
Well, deal done and just drove 50 miles home.
Pretty happy so far and ride is firm but not as firm as the Focus RS. You still jiggle a bit at speed on some stretches of motorway but different bits of you are moving. It's not so belly wobbling as the Focus.

A quick b road blast on the final test drive (which was difficult to find in the Orpington area), on a road I've driven a few time in my Subaru highlighted that the Megane doesn't pogo like the RS. That was the deal clencher.

Quite like the drive modes as they are quite different. Drove home mainly in Comfort with a few blasts in Sport. Final stretch after refuelling was in the default Neutral mode which felt like a good town/all round setting.

Needs a good clean though and a slight bonnet alignment tweak due to bonnet recall being done Thursday and its obviously been off (looking at fixings).

Volcanic Orange with 646 miles on clock?
Was looking at purchasing that one myself....

Offline Scott.T  
#9 Posted : 01 November 2019 19:03:56(UTC)
Scott.T

Originally Posted by: ray ban Go to Quoted Post

Sorry, yes that's the one. About 740 miles now though after final confirmation drive from Orpington to Woodman Pub and back in Sevenoaks, and trip back down to the coast.

The 2500 mile one was the cheaper of the two until Monday when they actually dropped both lower than their offer price to me. So I switched to the lower miles one which ended up nearly £700 cheaper than the other one and about £1500 cheaper than it was when I first looked 2 weeks ago.

I'm sure they would do a deal on the other one. It has a small chip on bonnet which I can email over if you want.
Offline Kirsty172  
#10 Posted : 01 November 2019 19:05:55(UTC)
Kirsty172

The mk3 focus rs was a crapfest. Terrible car, under engineered and enormously over hyped. The megane will be better for you.
Offline ray ban  
#11 Posted : 01 November 2019 20:09:09(UTC)
ray ban

Originally Posted by: Scott.T Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ray ban Go to Quoted Post

Sorry, yes that's the one. About 740 miles now though after final confirmation drive from Orpington to Woodman Pub and back in Sevenoaks, and trip back down to the coast.

The 2500 mile one was the cheaper of the two until Monday when they actually dropped both lower than their offer price to me. So I switched to the lower miles one which ended up nearly £700 cheaper than the other one and about £1500 cheaper than it was when I first looked 2 weeks ago.

I'm sure they would do a deal on the other one. It has a small chip on bonnet which I can email over if you want.

Going off the reg's they both Ex Renault UK cars.
Live in the North West so bit of a mission get down there really.

Look's like a cracking car though for the money.

Offline Scott.T  
#12 Posted : 01 November 2019 21:10:22(UTC)
Scott.T

Yes both Renault UK.
Not many miles on them though.
I think he said they were primarily static show cars.

ZZC is also for sale on Renault site, up in the Midlands I think, but on nearly 8000 miles and one of the ones used by alot of the road testers such as Mr Catchpole.
They seem to of had ZZA ZZB ZZC and ZZE out with the magazines and youtubers
Offline CraigI  
#13 Posted : 01 November 2019 22:12:45(UTC)
CraigI

I once had an ex Renault press Clio V6, which was used in a few magazine reviews, and driven by Jenson Button once too.
Was fine, very well looked after actually, with the exception of coil packs going, which was something that happened to a lot of them.
Wouldn’t put me off again if I was buying used - was quite nice history, and I managed to get my hands on most of the magazines too.

Edited by user 01 November 2019 22:19:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ray ban  
#14 Posted : 02 November 2019 11:55:16(UTC)
ray ban

It's the first Port of call....YouTube & try & catch the reg numbers that have been driven & I mean Driven!!!!
Offline Black225  
#15 Posted : 02 November 2019 14:58:24(UTC)
Black225

ZVZ was at Rockingham. https://www.renaultsport...mp;m=1170026#post1170026
(Currently on AT also).

Edited by user 02 November 2019 23:15:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Scott.T  
#16 Posted : 02 November 2019 23:48:52(UTC)
Scott.T

Originally Posted by: Black225 Go to Quoted Post
ZVZ was at Rockingham. https://www.renaultsport...mp;m=1170026#post1170026
(Currently on AT also).

ZVZ rear tyres did show signs of track use with overheating on the outer blocks. Not too bad but not the sort of wear you'd get driving on the road.
Fronts were fine so my guess was they had just swapped front to back.