Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline abel  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2019 16:11:09(UTC)
abel

Have you guys experienced wheel hopping before?
I have the standard 280 EDC Megane with the standard 18” Estoril wheels and Continental SportContact6 tires.
Last week the weather was poor, it rained a lot. The road surface was wet. Accelerating from a standstill or slow speed caused a hammer-like feeling. It felt like I was running over some very big rumble strips. Later I tried again and I was able to reproduce that. It happened in Sport and Race mode as well.
I called my dealer the day after to schedule an inspection. Over the phone, he said that it could be wheel hopping.

What do you guys think? Can it be a faulty ESC?
Offline delboy280  
#2 Posted : 10 November 2019 16:14:22(UTC)
delboy280

Just sounds like the traction control cutting in ,
no problem with that on slippery surface.
Offline abel  
#3 Posted : 10 November 2019 16:26:58(UTC)
abel

Originally Posted by: delboy280 Go to Quoted Post
Just sounds like the traction control cutting in ,
no problem with that on slippery surface.

But as much as I know the ESC is turned off in Race mode.
And the car does this in Race mode as well.
Offline Black225  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2019 19:50:43(UTC)
Black225

Sounds like the fwd version of axle tramp.

Offline abel  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2019 20:01:29(UTC)
abel

Originally Posted by: Black225 Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like the fwd version of axle tramp.

I haven’t seen it from outside obviously but it feels like as you can see it in the video. It's definitely bad for the car.

Have you guys experienced this?
Offline Sprocker  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2019 20:20:26(UTC)
Sprocker

From experience, I can honestly say it is probably axle tramp. When I bought my new astra j vxr in 2012 I had exactly the same problem, it was horrible. The car had pirrelli tyres on from the factory. Once the tyres were pretty much worn, I got tyres on the drive to fit four mpss tyres and was blown away by the difference. The car was transformed, no more axle tramp, no more understeer and quieter.

A good tyre really does make a car.

If I've still got the rs when these crappy bridgestones are worn, I'll be buying some more Michelins.

I really don't understand why car manufacturers make a good car like the rs and then spoil its dynamics with poor tyres. I would have thought with it being a french car, they would have fitted michelins...
Offline abel  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2019 20:47:14(UTC)
abel

I thought Continental tires weren't that bad. They are not that cheap.
What should I do with this? I will have the car checked next week and the tires swapped for winter tires, but do you have other suggestions? Does lowering the tire pressure help?
Offline FramerateUK  
#8 Posted : 10 November 2019 22:24:15(UTC)
FramerateUK

My worn out bridgestones were getting quite bad at this before I replaced them.

Michelin PS4's seem to perform a lot better.
Offline CraigI  
#9 Posted : 11 November 2019 06:06:43(UTC)
CraigI

The tyres on my Trophy are truly awful.
They work okay on bone dry roads only, in all other conditions they are dreadful.
Fortunately the fronts are down to 2.2/2.4 after only 5000 miles and I’ll soon replace them all for some proper tyres which I hope will help bring some much needed excitement to the way the thing drives.
Offline abel  
#10 Posted : 11 November 2019 07:41:23(UTC)
abel

So you guys say this is only about the tires. It has nothing to do with the ESC. That's actually a good thing.

I'm thinking about selling the Continentals. I will have them swapped to winter tires next week anyway. I will update you to tell if it helps or not.
Offline Black225  
#11 Posted : 11 November 2019 20:17:59(UTC)
Black225

Winter tyres could well help with the temps we've got atm.
Offline FramerateUK  
#12 Posted : 12 November 2019 11:34:44(UTC)
FramerateUK

Originally Posted by: CraigI Go to Quoted Post
The tyres on my Trophy are truly awful.
They work okay on bone dry roads only, in all other conditions they are dreadful.
Fortunately the fronts are down to 2.2/2.4 after only 5000 miles and I’ll soon replace them all for some proper tyres which I hope will help bring some much needed excitement to the way the thing drives.

I hit a pothole that took out my Bridgestones on the driver side (yes, both of them!).

Annoying and expensive, but the PS4 all round feel much better.
Offline Scott.T  
#13 Posted : 12 November 2019 13:08:15(UTC)
Scott.T

Unless your super aggressive the wheel hop on the RS is no way near as bad as Golf and Cupra.
The first modification these owners do is new tyres and a revised polybush on the transmission/engine mount.

As much as I have enjoyed the Cupra brand in years passed the Mk3 is truly terrible when it comes to hammering wheel hop and poor traction in wet conditions. Every test drive I managed to produce quite severe wheel hop, without (in my mind) being too aggressive.
In the Megane RS this is very much better and to date in wet conditions I have only experience mild, almost un-noticeable, hopping. To be honest the LSD in the RS is quite a surprise and in 2 weeks ownership most of that has been wet driving and it has gripped way beyond where I thought it would start to struggle.

Edited by user 12 November 2019 13:10:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline NickRS  
#14 Posted : 12 November 2019 16:36:46(UTC)
NickRS

I would echo that Scott. I am on AD08Rs tyres but despite that and the higher low end torque compared to the F4RT engine in the Cup S, I am very impressed by the traction in the wet. But then again, I am a modulator so perhaps I am too smooth in my inputs ;)
Offline wilkerpa76  
#15 Posted : 12 November 2019 17:24:43(UTC)
wilkerpa76

My RS280 never hesitates to wheel spin in the wet, and also judders on full lock at low speed when turning. I'm hoping it's the tyres, I really don't rate these Bridgestone potenzas!
Offline foxspeed  
#16 Posted : 12 November 2019 18:29:41(UTC)
foxspeed

yep step on the throttle to hard and it axle hops/tramps really bad...tyres may help but mine have tread left on them so wont find out for awhile
Offline baigent  
#17 Posted : 14 November 2019 13:37:52(UTC)
baigent

Originally Posted by: abel Go to Quoted Post
Have you guys experienced wheel hopping before?
I have the standard 280 EDC Megane with the standard 18” Estoril wheels and Continental SportContact6 tires.
Last week the weather was poor, it rained a lot. The road surface was wet. Accelerating from a standstill or slow speed caused a hammer-like feeling. It felt like I was running over some very big rumble strips. Later I tried again and I was able to reproduce that. It happened in Sport and Race mode as well.
I called my dealer the day after to schedule an inspection. Over the phone, he said that it could be wheel hopping.

What do you guys think? Can it be a faulty ESC?

I have a 300 EDC Trophy, Bridgestone S001's.

They are in a word, awful. Mine does the same regardless of mode, road surface or weather conditions.

Why on earth these were chosen as the OEM tyre I do not know. They weren't even regarded as a great tyre when they were first released.

Alpine A110's have Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as the OEM tyre. My Clio 220 Trophy had Pilot Super Sport's as the OEM tyre. I didn't have a problem putting the power down at all in the Clio, even from a standing start in Race. I had the same issue with my 265 until I swapped the Conti 5P's over to Pilot Super Sports.

I've booked my 300 in to have them changed to the Pilot Sport 4S. Will be looking for some contribution from the dealer.

Edited by user 14 November 2019 13:42:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ibatzakas  
#18 Posted : 15 November 2019 23:35:10(UTC)
ibatzakas

Sport 4S for me as well soon !!!!
Offline abel  
#19 Posted : 20 November 2019 19:01:53(UTC)
abel

So changing the tires to winter tires did actually help. Wheel hopping is now gone.
I bought Hankook W320 (235/40/18) tires. Now the car works like a charm.

Edited by user 20 November 2019 19:02:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Treagyjet  
#20 Posted : 21 November 2019 19:26:38(UTC)
Treagyjet

Just out of interest, has anybody tried the Bridgestone S007s yet?
Offline NickRS  
#21 Posted : 21 November 2019 21:41:51(UTC)
NickRS

Originally Posted by: abel Go to Quoted Post
So changing the tires to winter tires did actually help. Wheel hopping is now gone.
I bought Hankook W320 (235/40/18) tires. Now the car works like a charm.

Good move this time of year anyway but what are you going to fit in the summer?

I have the 4 Conti 6 that came with my car I. 235 40 18 if you're interested. They certainly didn't hop on my hands although they've only covered 50 miles...
Offline abel  
#22 Posted : 22 November 2019 08:06:09(UTC)
abel

Originally Posted by: NickRS Go to Quoted Post
I have the 4 Conti 6 that came with my car I. 235 40 18 if you're interested. They certainly didn't hop on my hands although they've only covered 50 miles...

I still have the Continentals that came with the car. I will use them in the summer. They are quite new as well, 5k kms (~3k miles).

I live in Hungary and it’s recommended here to have two sets of tires. One set for the summer and one for winter. The Continentals that came with the car just aren’t meant to be used in cold and wet weather.
Offline wilkerpa76  
#23 Posted : 03 December 2019 16:06:58(UTC)
wilkerpa76

If anyone is selling any 18in alloys for a MK4 RS, PM me. Sounds like winter tires are the way to go.