Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline abel  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2019 21:51:36(UTC)
abel

I have the standard 280 EDC Megane with 8k kilometers (5k miles) in it.
The car's recently started making a metallic sound when I'm braking at a low speed, right before stopping.
Can the brake pads be worn out after 8k kms? How often do you change your brake pads (and discs)?
I drove in heavy rain some days ago. Can it be dust, maybe? I tried to clean the discs with a pressure washer. It seemed to help for a little while but the noise came back.

Edited by user 29 December 2019 10:45:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline foxspeed  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2019 20:55:52(UTC)
foxspeed

so many variables on this....just take the wheels off and have a look!
Offline Barnaby RUK  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2019 07:56:02(UTC)
Barnaby RUK

Brembo brake on most RS models make some sort of noise. at normal road speeds is the car pulling up OK ? are they any signs of scoring on the discs?

As Foxspeed said so many variables affect pad wear - track days, type of road driving you do, maintenance of brake parts etc.

Offline NickRS  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2020 16:43:11(UTC)
NickRS

You can probably check the pad thickness with a torch light through the spokes.
I reckon the discs are slightly glazed and need a good workout - a few repeated hard applications from 60 to 30 just within the Abs trigger point should clean them. Only do that when there is no one around please though.
Don't use the pressure washer to clean your brakes.
Offline Meganesport2018  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2020 06:38:14(UTC)
Meganesport2018

Good morning from Germany. I own an 2018 RS with bi-metallic discs and have been following this forum for a while. I do not know if anybody here is aware but in Germany there seems to be a problem with both, bi-metallic and standard discs, showing extreme wear only at the inside of the disc. The outside looks great. Mine have been completely exchanged for two times now, first in March and then again in November 2019. Checking them again in December revealed the same again, so a third exchange becomes necessary. I complained at Renault and they obviously do not know exactly wether the pads or the discs cause the problem. So perhaps just check the inside of your discs, maybe you have the same problem!