The previous record had been one minute, 04.286 seconds but Burns utterly destroyed that with a remarkable lap in 1m03.893s – a difference of almost 0.4 seconds!
Nobody else was able to break the 1m04s barrier and that guaranteed Burns – the 17-year old protégé of the BMR team and its reigning British Touring Car Champion Ashley Sutton – pole for the first of the weekend’s two races which will take place later today, at 16:30.
Burns's second best lap time – 1m04.080s – was also better than anyone else's, guaranteeing pole when the drivers line up on the grid for race two (tomorrow at 13:50).
Triple Champion Paul Rivett ended the session closest to Burns on both fastest and second fastest lap times to wind up second on both grids. Notably the gap each time to Burns was 0.255s…
Third and fourth on the grid for race one were Westbourne Motorsport’s James Dorlin and Pyro’s Max Coates, the championship leader. For race two there positions will be reversed, with Coates in P3 and Dorlin P4.
Meanwhile, qualifying fifth, sixth and seventh for both races were WDE’s Dan Zelos, MRM’s Jack Young and Matrix Motorsport’s Michael Epps. WDE's Lee Pattison and Matrix's Aaron Thompson took turns to take an eighth and a ninth as Pyro's Jack McCarthy took tenth on both grids. Thompson's performances mark by far his strongest showing in a qualifying session so far this season...
Heading into the two races, Coates leads Rivett in the standings by seven points with Dorlin, in third, 30 adrift of the top.
Fourth to eighth in the championship – Daniel Rowbottom, McCarthy, Epps, Burns and Pattison – also still have a chance of winning the title. However fourth-placed Rowbottom's task was made harder in today's qualifying session by a mechanical glitch on his DRM car which left him back in 15th and 16th on the two grids.
STOP PRESS: Max Coates was later reinstated to third on race two's grid after successfully appealing against an initial decision to remove his second best lap time for failing to slow sufficiently while cautionary yellow flags were being displayed.
Leading times, Qualifying, Round 15, Renault UK Clio Cup, Silverstone
1. Bradley Burns (Team Pyro), +1m03.893s (avg. 92.43mph)
2. Paul Rivett (WDE Motorsport), +0.255s
3. James Dorlin (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.342s
4. Max Coates (Team Pyro), +0.461s
5. Dan Zelos (WDE Motorsport), +0.501s
6. Jack Young (MRM), +0.510s
7. Michael Epps (Matrix Motorsport), +0.632s
8. Lee Pattison (WDE Motorsport), +0.657s
9. Aaron Thompson (Matrix Motorsport), +0.663s
10. Jack McCarthy (Team Pyro), +0.672s
Leading times, Qualifying, Round 16, Renault UK Clio Cup, Silverstone
1. Bradley Burns (Team Pyro), +1m04.080s
2. Paul Rivett (WDE Motorsport), +0.255
3. Max Coates (Team Pyro), +0.309s (* reinstated after appeal)
4. James Dorlin (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.356s
5. Dan Zelos (WDE Motorsport), +0.360s
6. Jack Young (MRM), +0.425s
7. Michael Epps (Matrix Motorsport), +0.447s
8. Aaron Thompson (Matrix Motorsport), +0.6478s
9. Lee Pattison (WDE Motorsport), +0.520s
10. Jack McCarthy (Team Pyro), +0.535s