Coates produced a late burst of speed to knock Matrix’s Michael Epps off the top spot just a few minutes before the end of the day's third and final session in which every driver set their fastest lap time.
“The car is absolutely brand new – today is the first time it’s turned a wheel and it’s a great way to start life with Pyro,” said Coates.
“It’s also been a very productive media day for all the drivers on the grid and, from the feedback I’ve had, I know just how much my own sponsors have got out of it.”
Meanwhile WDE Motorsport’s Paul Rivett ended the test with the third fastest time ahead of another Matrix driver, Andy Wilmot, and Westbourne Motorsport’s James Dorlin. WDE’s ‘rookie’ signing Nathan Edwards was an encouraging sixth…
Lee Pattison (WDE), Brett Lidsey (MRM), Dan Zelos and Sam Osborne (both WDE) rounded out the top ten. James Colburn (Westbourne), Nicolas Hamilton (WDE) and Jeff Alden (Matrix) completed the list of drivers whose cars lodged times with official timekeeper TSL Timing.
Matrix’s Aaron Thompson later claimed his car’s data showed his fastest lap time had been good enough to put him second overall, although this could not be officially verified…
Leading times: Renault UK Clio Cup, Media Day Test, Silverstone
1. Max Coates (Team Pyro), 1 minute, 08.763s
2. Michael Epps (Matrix Motorsport), +0.275s
3. Paul Rivett (WDE Motorsport), +0.455s
4. Andy Wilmot (Matrix Motorsport), +0.621s
5. James Dorlin (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.700s
6. Nathan Edwards (WDE Motorsport), +0.712s
7. Lee Pattison (WDE Motorsport), +0.722s
8. Brett Lidsey (MRM), +0.843s
9. Dan Zelos (WDE Motorsport), +0.855s
10. Sam Osborne (WDE Motorsport), +0.892s
11. James Colburn (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.907s
12. Nicolas Hamilton (WDE Motorsport), +0.953s
13. Jeff Alden (Matrix Motorsport), +1.849s