Lidsey’s MRM car suffered rear end damage when it crashed at 100mph but his best time from earlier in the qualifying session of one minute, 23.337 seconds went untouched.
It meant Lidsey stayed P1 on the timesheets and he will duly line up on pole when the cars take to the grid for this afternoon’s race at the Hampshire circuit at 16:05.
Second, missing out on pole by just 13 thousandths of a second, will be championship leader, Team HARD's Max Coates.
Third is his main title rival, Lidsey’s team-mate Jack Young, while a back-to-form fourth is Coates’s fellow Team HARD driver Ethan Hammerton – impressive given this is first-ever visit to the UK’s most fearsome circuit.
Fifth and sixth are Team HARD’s Jamie Bond and Westbourne Motorsport’s Ben Colburn. And with Team HARD’s Jade Edwards in seventh just six tenths of a second away from pole, the scene is set for a slip-streaming classic…
Coates meanwhile ensured he bagged pole for race two (on Sunday) by setting the best second fastest lap time of anyone. For that race, Young – a mere 0.064s adrift – will start from second with Colburn a career-best third. Bond, Hammerton and Lidsey rounded out the top six.
Lidsey said: “I’m very happy to get my first pole, particularly at Thruxton which is a proper old school type circuit so it means that bit more.
“But that was a hairy moment – I was right in front of Jack when the car snapped away from me through Church and as soon as I got onto the wet grass on slick tyres the car took off like a rocket towards the barriers.
“Luckily the damage isn’t that severe and the car will be fine for this afternoon’s race.”
Coates, who leads Young at the top of the table by just six points, said: “P2 and a P1 – I’ll take that. But it’s very tight on times – slip-streaming tactics will come into it and we could even see six or seven cars going for the lead.”
Colburn, from nearby Worthing, was elated with his performance, commenting: “It’s great to be right up there in the hunt on my home circuit – Westbourne have won a lot of races around here before and I’m very hungry to add to my podium tally so far this season.”
Qualifying, Race 1 (Round 11), Thruxton:
1. Brett Lidsey (MRM), 1m23.337s (avg. 101.77mph)
2. Max Coates (Team HARD), +0.013s
3. Jack Young (MRM), +0.076s
4. Ethan Hammerton (Team HARD), +0.338s
5. Jamie Bond (Team HARD), +0.443s
6. Ben Colburn (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.548s
7. Jade Edwards (Team HARD), +0.648s
8. Finlay Robinson (Westbourne Motorsport), +1.395s
9. Tyler Lidsey (MRM), +2.174s
10. Luke Warr (Specialized Motorsport), +3.887s
Qualifying, Race 2 (Round 12), Thruxton:
1. Max Coates (Team HARD), 1m23.510s (avg. 101.56mph)
2. Jack Young (MRM), +0.064s
3. Ben Colburn (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.381s
4. Jamie Bond (Team HARD), +0.469s
5. Ethan Hammerton (Team HARD), +0.682s
6. Brett Lidsey (MRM), +0.982s
7. Jade Edwards (Team HARD), +1.141s
8. Finlay Robinson (Westbourne Motorsport), +1.468s
9. Tyler Lidsey (MRM), +2.092s
10. Luke Warr (Specialized Motorsport), +3.724s
CLICK HERE for full times and sector/speed trap analysis.