Team HARD's Bond looked to have done enough for pole for both of Sunday’s races – his fastest and second fastest lap times which decide the two grids proving untouchable as the qualifying session entered its final moments.
But with one mighty final effort, MRM driver Young was just able to eclipse him, flashing past the chequered flag in a stunning time of two minutes, 06.460 seconds. The margin between them was a mere 0.054s with Coates a further 0.197s adrift in third in his Team HARD car…
Bond, though, was still classified on pole for race two thanks to setting the best second fastest time of anyone in 2m06.700s.
The gap this time was even closer with Coates 0.031s behind in second and Young, in third, only 0.061s away from the top spot.
Bond’s effort was all the more noteworthy as today marked the first time he’d been to use new tyres having been unable to tun them in Friday’s free practice sessions.
Coates, meanwhile, will go into tomorrow’s races holding a six-point lead over Young at the top of the table. A possible maximum score of 56 points is available from them. Race one is at 10:05 and race two, which will be broadcast live on ITV4, at 15:25.
Young commented: “That was cutting it fine – I thought I’d done enough on my previous lap but got the message it’d had been disallowed for track limits so knew it was now or never with the clock ticking down.
“Oddly enough I didn’t set a personal best sector but they were still all good which was what counted.”
Bond said: “I really had to press the re-set button last night after free practice as I wasn’t happy with how our day had gone – I’m a lot happier now! After taking a pole and leading last time out at Oulton Park, I know what to expect more this time from Jack and Max…”
Coates added: “A pole would have been nice but this is such a high level – the most important thing is we’re right in the hunt and in a position in both races to score well.”
Elsewhere, the fight for fourth place in qualifying was similarly close fought. Young’s MRM team-mate Brett Lidsey managed to take the position on both grids ahead of Team HARD’s Ethan Hammerton and Westbourne Motorsport’s Ben Colburn.
Qualifying times, Race 1 (Round 9), Snetterton:
1. Jack Young (MRM), 2m06.460s
2. Jamie Bond (Team HARD), +0.054s
3. Max Coates (Team HARD), +0.251s
4. Brett Lidsey (MRM), +0.637s
5. Ethan Hammerton (Team HARD), +0.654s
6. Ben Colburn (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.685s
7. Nathan Edwards (MRM), +1.103s
8. Jade Edwards (Team HARD), +1.299s
9. Finlay Robinson (Westbourne Motorsport), +2.587s
10. Luke Warr (Specialized Motorsport), +4.445s
Qualifying times, Race 2 (Round 10), Snetterton:
1. Jamie Bond (Team HARD), 2,06.700s
2. Max Coates (Team HARD), +0.031s
3. Jack Young (MRM), +0.061s
4. Brett Lidsey (MRM), +0.520s
5. Ethan Hammerton (Team HARD), +0.624s
6. Ben Colburn (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.915s
7. Nathan Edwards (MRM), +1.048s
8. Jade Edwards (Team HARD), +1.447s
9. Finlay Robinson (Westbourne Motorsport), +2.473s
10. Luke Warr (Specialized Motorsport), +4.206s