WDE Motorsport’s Rivett posted his best time of one minute, 04.175s seconds towards the end of the day’s faster second session in which all 21 drivers improved.
That was just 0.029s quicker than Team Pyro’s Bradley Burns in second while Westbourne Motorsport’s James Dorlin was only 0.046s off the top spot in third. All three were underneath the existing qualifying lap record.
WDE’s Dan Zelos, MRM’s Jade Edwards and Pyro’s Max Coates – currently leading Rivett in the championship – completed the top six but times were incredibly tight with the fastest 18 covered by less than a second…
For much of the session, team-mates practiced giving each other a ‘tow’ – helpful given strong cross and head winds along Silverstone’s long straights. That made seventh place for Nick Reeve – on his lonesome in the one-car Specialized Motorsport outfit – particularly impressive.
In a similar boat, DRM’s Daniel Rowbottom set exactly the same time but posted it later so was classified eighth ahead of WDE’s Lee Pattison and MRM’s Jack Young. Next up were Pyro’s Jack McCarthy and, making it all three MRM cars in the top 12, Brett Lidsey.
The drivers will next be on track at 11:25 tomorrow for their timed qualifying session ahead of the first of the weekend’s two penultimate rounds of the season, at 16:30.
Heading into this weekend Coates leads Rivett by seven points at the top of the table with Dorlin a further 23 behind in third.
Rowbottom, McCarthy, Epps, Burns and Pattison are also mathematically still in with a chance but need strong results at Silverstone (and, potentially, problems for the leaders) if they are to avoid being eliminated from the title race prior to the season finale at Brands Hatch.
Leading times, Free Practice, Renault UK Clio Cup, Silverstone
1. Paul Rivett (WDE Motorsport), 1m04.175s (avg. 92.02mph)
2. Bradley Burns (Team Pyro), +0.029s
3. James Dorlin (Westbourne Motorsport), +0.046s
4. Dan Zelos (WDE Motorsport), +0.117s
5. Jade Edwards (MRM), +0.145s
6. Max Coates (Team Pyro), +0.191s
7. Nick Reeve (Specialized Motorsport), +0.201s
8. Daniel Rowbottom (DRM), +0.201s
9. Lee Pattison (WDE Motorsport), +0.249s
10. Jack Young (MRM), +0.254s
11. Jack McCarthy (Team Pyro), +0.262s
12. Brett Lidsey (MRM), +0.353s
CLICK HERE for full times.